- Birth Date
- 18 March 1819
- Death Date
- 27 March 1891
James Whitehead Taylor
The Taylor family left their home in England on 24 September 1848 on board the ”Sailor Prince.” The family consisted of James Whitehead Taylor, his wife Ann Rogers, and their children Samuel Rogers, Margaret Rose, Esther, and Sarah Jane. After James’ baptism, he served diligently in England until his family left for America. They landed in New Orleans and stayed there from November until May, and then left for St. Louis.
The Taylor family initially traveled to the Salt Lake Valley with the Moses Clawson Company in 1853. Along the way, his daughter Margaret fell off the wagon tongue and was run over by both wheels. She recovered from her injuries. During their travels, the family ran extremely low on provisions, but was able to be met by James’ brother William with provisions. (James’ brothers traveled to the Salt Lake Valley five years prior to James’ journey.)
James was re-baptized at Salt Lake City on 9 October 1853.
In the spring of 1856, James was called on a mission to England. At the end of his mission, he sailed for New York on the “Empire” on 19 February 1858, and landed in New York on 20 March. He traveled home with the John W. Berry Company in 1858. When the company reached Echo Canyon, they worried about Johnson’s Army. As they started into the Canyon, they found themselves in the midst of Johnson’s Army, but they passed the army hastily without any trouble.
- Age at Departure: 34
- Head of Household
- Age at Departure: 39
- Bullock, Thomas, to Brigham Young, 26 June 1858, in Brigham Young, Office Files 1832-1878, reel 36, box 26, fd. 5.
- "Death of James W. Taylor," Deseret News [Weekly], 11 Mar. 1891, 520.
- "Death of James W. Taylor," Deseret News, 11 Apr. 1891, 520.
- England Births and Christenings, 1538-1975
- Find a Grave (Website)
- George Goddard papers, 1855-1899, Journals, Volume 2, 1857 April-1858 July.
- Isaiah M. Coombs collection, 1835-1938, Diaries, Volume 8, 1858 April 13-1858 September 1, 16-66.
- Journal History of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, 21 June 1858, 32.
- Missionary Record Index
- Salt Lake Stake Record of Members, 1848-1917.
- "St. Louis Company report, 1853 June 30." In Brigham Young office emigrating companies reports 1850-1862, Reports 1853-1855. (CR 1234 5, Box 1, Folder 25)
- Taylor, James Whitehead, Autobiographical sketch, in Robert Joseph Taylor, ed., The James Whitehead and Ann Rogers Taylor Family , 3.
- Thomas Bullock journal, 1858 May-June.