- Birth Date
- 23 May 1812
- Death Date
- 4 September 1891
Joel initially traveled to the Salt Lake Valley in the Heber C. Kimball Company in 1848. He was Captain of the guard.
In 1851, he traveled with the John Brown Company.
At the end of a mission, Joel returned home with the John W. Berry Company in 1858.
- Age at Departure: 36
- Age at Departure: 39
- Age at Departure: 45
- 1850 Iowa Census, Pottawattamie County.
- Brinton, David, to Brigham Young, 20 June 1858, in Brigham Young, Office Files 1832-1878, reel 36, box 26, fd. 5.
- Bullock, Thomas, to Editor, 22 July 1858, in Missionary Reports, fd. 17.
- Camp of Israel schedules and reports, 1845-1849.
- Find a Grave (Website)
- George Goddard papers, 1855-1899, Journals, Volume 2, 1857 April-1858 July.
- Heber C. Kimball journals, 1848 June-July and 1848 July-September, in Heber C. Kimball papers, 1837-1866.
- Hoyt, Emily Smith, Reminiscences and diary 1851-1893, vol. 1, 67-108. (MS 13346)
- Isaiah M. Coombs collection, 1835-1938, Diaries, Volume 8, 1858 April 13-1858 September 1, 16-66.
- John Brown Emigrating Company journal, 1851 July-September.
- Journal History of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, June 1858, 31.
- Journal History of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, Supplement after 31 December 1848, 11.
- Journal History of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, Supplement after 31 December 1851, 6D, 6E.
- Missionary Record Index
- Smith, Joseph F., "How One Widow [Mary Fielding Smith] Crossed the Plains," Young Woman's Journal , Feb. 1919, 165, 171.
- Thomas Bullock journal, 1858 May-June.
- Welchman, Arthur P., Reminiscences and diary, [ca.1854-1917], fd. 1, 93-94.