- Birth Date
- 5 September 1810
- Death Date
- 14 February 1890
John Harvey Tippets
John Harvey traveled to the Salt Lake Valley with the Brigham Young Pioneer Company in 1847 and was part of the 11th Company of Ten led by John S. Higbee. He left the company on 3 June at Fort Laramie to take a message to the Mormon Battalion sick detachments at Pueblo, Colorado. He was re-baptized on 7 August 1847 in the Salt Lake Valley.
The Tippets family traveled to the Salt Lake Valley with the Heber C. Kimball Company in 1848. The family included John Harvey and his wife Caroline Fidelia Calkins and their son John Harvey, Jr., Caroline’s two children from a previous marriage, Hyrum William Pew and Sariah Fedelia, John’s son from a previous marriage, John Austin, Caroline’s sister, Nancy Calkins, and John’s uncle Alvah. Also traveling with the family was Sariah Lewis.
At the end of a mission in 1858, John sailed back to America on the ship The Horizon, and returned to Utah with the John W. Berry Company.
- Age at Departure: 36
- Age at Departure: 37
- Head of Household
- Age at Departure: 47
- 1850 Utah Census, Salt Lake County.
- Bullock, Thomas, to Brigham Young, 26 June 1858, in Brigham Young, Office Files 1832-1878, reel 36, box 26, fd. 5.
- Camp of Israel schedules and reports, 1845-1849.
- George Goddard papers, 1855-1899, Journals, Volume 2, 1857 April-1858 July.
- Isaiah M. Coombs collection, 1835-1938, Diaries, Volume 8, 1858 April 13-1858 September 1, 16-66.
- John H. Tippets autobiography, circa 1882, 99-113.
- John H. Tippets autobiography, circa 1882.
- John Harvey Tippets, Biographical Sketches. Possibly MS 2050. Unsure. This does not come from CR 100 18.
- Journal History of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, 21 June 1858, 32.
- “Life and Journeys of John Somers Higbee,” Iron County Record, 16 February 1929.
- Norton Jacob reminiscence and journal, 1844 May-1852 January, 110-115.
- "Obituary," Deseret Evening News, 7 March 1890, .
- Our Pioneer Heritage, vol. 2, 606.
- Pioneering the West, 1846 to 1878: Major Howard Egan's Diary, edited and compiled by William M. Egan (1917), 21-105.
- Salt Lake Stake, Record of members collection, 1836-1970.
- Smith, John Lyman, Autobiography and diaries, vol. 4, Jan. 1857 - Dec. 1858.
- "The Utah Pioneers," Deseret Weekly, 25 August 1894, 294.
- Thomas Bullock, letter, 22 July 1858.
- Thomas Bullock journal, 1858 May-June.
- Welchman, Arthur P., Reminiscences and diary, [ca.1854-1917], fd. 1, 93-94.