- Birth Date
- 1 August 1819
- Death Date
- 21 January 1891
David and his wife Isabella sailed to America in 1843 on the ship Swanton.
David initially traveled to Utah as a returning Mormon Battalion veteran in the Mormon Battalion Sick Detachments in 1847. He served as the 4th Sergeant in company C. His wife Isabella accompanied him on this journey and both were re-baptized in the the Salt Lake Valley on 7 August 1847. In the Salt Lake Stake Record of Members their surname is spelled "Wilkie." In 1848 he and a companion headed east with a wagon, three horses and four oxen to meet and assist an immigrant company led by Heber C. Kimball.
In 1851, David captained the Wilkin Freight Train to carry merchandise across the plains. He was again re-baptized at Salt Lake City on 7 December 1851 at this time he gave his birth date as 1 August 1822.
He served as Captain of the David Wilkin Company in 1853 and led a group of Saints to Utah. In 1855 he consecrated a substantial amount of money the the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
David later participated as one of the rescuers that went out in the winter of 1856 to assist the members of the Church stranded in Wyoming.
At the end of a mission to Ireland, he traveled home with the John W. Berry Company in 1858 as indicated in the Bullock letter.
His death date is confirmed by Find a Grave web site.
- Age at Departure: 27
- Head of Household
- Age at Departure: 32
- Company Captain
- Age at Departure: 33
- Company Captain
- Age at Departure: 37
- Age at Departure: 38
- Bullock, Thomas, to Brigham Young, 26 June 1858, in Brigham Young, Office Files 1832-1878, reel 36, box 26, fd. 5.
- Bullock, Thomas, to Editor, 22 July 1858, in Missionary Reports, fd. 17.
- Burton, Robert Taylor, Diaries 1856-1907, Record book, circa 1856 October-November.
- “David Wilkin Company report, 1853 July 15.” In Brigham Young office emigrating companies reports 1850-1862, Reports 1853-1855. (CR 1234 5, Box 1, Folder 33)
- Duncan, John, Autobiography, 1902, fd. 1, 1-2.
- Find a Grave (Website)
- George Goddard papers, 1855-1899, Journals, Volume 2, 1857 April-1858 July.
- Isaiah M. Coombs collection, 1835-1938, Diaries, Volume 8, 1858 April 13-1858 September 1, 16-66.
- Journal History, 12 September 1848, 1.
- Journal History, 29 July 1847, 7.
- Journal History of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, June 1858, 31.
- McCarrey, William to Dear Parents and Friends, 1853.
- Missionary Record Index
- Ormond, John, [Autobiography], in "Utah Pioneer Biographies," 44 vols., 22:60-61.
- Perpetual Emigrating Fund, Financial Accounts 1849-1886, Ledger A, p. 14.
- Perpetual Emigrating Fund, Financial Accounts 1849-1886, Ledger A, p. 82.
- Ricketts, Norma Baldwin. The Mormon Battalion: U.S. Army of the West, 1846-1848, Logan, Utah: Utah State University Press, 1996, 23.
- Salt Lake Stake Record of Members, 1848-1917.
- Thomas Bullock journal, 1858 May-June.
- Utah, Early Mormon Missionary Database
- Utah, Territorial Militia Records, 1849-1877.
- Utah, Veterans with Federal Service Buried in Utah, Territorial to 1966.
- Utah State History Cemeteries and Burials Database.
- Welchman, Arthur P., Reminiscences and diary, [ca.1854-1917], fd. 1, 93-94.
- Wilkin, David, Autobiographical sketch, in Biographical sketches 1891- , reel 72, box 76, fd. 12, item 3.