- Birth Date
- 8 March 1829
- Death Date
- 8 May 1926
Mathias Brock Nelson
Mathias initially traveled to the Valley in 1859. He served as a captain of the 7th ten in that company. However, he is seen crossing the plains again with his brother, Peter, and Peter's wife and daughter in the 1866 Chipman Company. Peter and his family had been delayed for a year in Nebraska due to lack of funds. It is possible that Matthias went out to Council Bluffs to bring them back to the Valley.
- Age at Departure: 30
- Head of Household
- Age at Departure: 37
- 1900 Utah Census.
- Chipman, William H., Notebook, 1866.
- Handcart Veterans Association. Handcart Veterans Association scrapbook, 1906-1914, folder 6.
- "Latter Day Saints' Immigration," Deseret News, 24 August 1859, 197.
- Lund, Anthon H. Scandinavian Jubilee Album (Salt Lake City: Deseret News, 1900).
- Magleby, Hans Olsen, Reminiscences and diaries, 1857-1865 and 1875, vol. 2 (Danish manuscript) and 61-70 (typescript translation).
- Mathias Nielsen journal excerpts in Historical Department journal history of the Church, 1896-2001 July, 4 Sept. 1859, 8, 15-31.
- Missionary Department Missionary Registers, 1860-1959, Volume 1.
- Nelson, Mathias B. to Albert S. Jones, Handcart Veterans Association, 27 September 1907. Handcart Veterans Association Scrapbook 1906-1914, fd. 3.
- Nelson, Mathias Brock, Autobiographical sketch, Tooele Stake, High Priest Quorum Genealogical Records, early-1925, reel 7018, 110, in Record of Members Collection 1836-1970.
- "Passenger List: of Cap. W. Chipman's Train," Deseret News, 26 September 1866, 5.
- Perpetual Emigrating Fund, Financial Accounts 1849-1886, Ledger B, p. 320.
- Thomas McIntyre journal, 1854 November-1913 May, 16-68.
- Utah Death Certificates.