- Birth Date
- 3 April 1833
- Death Date
- 12 January 1923
John Shannon Houtz
John initially traveled to the Salt Lake Valley in the Brigham Young Company in 1848. John's travel to Utah is mentioned in a newspaper article regarding his wife. However, he later participated as one of the rescuers that were sent out in the winter of 1856 to assist the members of the Church stranded in Wyoming.
His death date is confirmed by his death certificate.
- Age at Departure: 15
- Age at Departure: 23
- 1900 Utah Census.
- Find a Grave (Website)
- "First 100, report, 1848 June" in Camp of Israel schedules and reports 1845-1849, Brigham Young's 1848 emigration division.
- Frank Esshom, Pioneers and Prominent Men of Utah (Salt Lake City: Utah Pioneers Book Publishing Company, 1913), 943.
- "John S. Houtz Dead, Aged 90," Ogden Standard Examiner, 12 January 1923, 10.
- "Names of Persons Who Volunteer to Go as Teamsters" in Offerings for the assistance of the P. E. F. immigrants, 1856 October in Perpetual Emigrating Fund Company general files, 1850-1887.
- "One of Our Pioneers," Box Elder News , 26 Aug. 1915, 5.
- Utah Death Certificates.