- Birth Date
- 30 September 1811
- Death Date
- 26 December 1865
At the time of the 1850 Iowa census, which was taken in September 1850, Joseph and Eliza are living in Pottawattamie County, Iowa but on 23 September 1851 he received a Patriarchal Blessing from John Smith at Salt Lake City, Utah. This confirms that they crossed the plains in 1851.
He was living in the Provo First Ward at the time of the 1852 Bishop's Report and this is where his name first appears in the Utah Territorial Militia records on 2 April 1853; but on 19 July 1853 he is listed with the militia at Salt Lake City. On 26 August 1857 he received another Patriarchal Blessing at Ceder Valley (west of Utah Lake,) from John Young. According to a secondary source published in the Morgan County News in 1947, on 13 February 1862, he became a Selectman for Morgan County.
Note that FamilySearch shows their marriage as taking place in Provo, Utah on 22 March 1854. However, apparently they were married by 1850 because the 1850 Iowa census shows his wife's name as "Eliza Brandt."
- Age at Departure: 39
- Head of Household
- 1850 Iowa Census, Pottawattamie County.
- 1860 Utah Census.
- "Died," Deseret News, 22 March 1866, 128.
- Iowa State Census Collection, 1836-1925.
- "Registry of Names of Persons Residing in the Various Wards as to Bishops' Reports, Great Salt Lake City, Dec. 28th, A.D. 1852" in Key to Migration Sources, Great Britain and North America: A Manual for Students Attending the Second Annual Priesthood Genealogical Research Seminar, June 19-23, 1967 (Provo: Brigham Young University Division of Continuing Education, 1967), edited by Norman Edgar Wright.
- Utah, Deaths and Burials, 1888-1946.
- Utah, FamilySearch, Early Church Information File, 1830-1900
- Utah, Territorial Militia Records, 1849-1877.