- Birth Date
- 8 March 1830
- Death Date
- 4 August 1922
William Bowen James
The company he traveled with was noted in local church financial records.
William James and his family (Sarah, David, and Emily) were not listed in the company roster. However, the family was enumerated among other company members in the 1860 Census on 30 June 1860 in Platte, Nebraska. Also, Sarah's obituary states that she traveled to Utah in 1860. The family also participated in Handcart Reunions as seen in an article in the Deseret News (3 October 1907).
It is important to note that the family was listed as members of Bunker's 1856 handcart company in the Handcart Veterans Association scrapbook (folder 6). However, this is incorrect as the family did not sail to America until 1857.
- Age at Departure: 30
- Head of Household
- 1860 United States Census
- 1900 United States Federal Census
- Handcart Veterans Association. Handcart Veterans Association scrapbook, 1906-1914, folder 6.
- "Handcart Vets Hold Reunion," Deseret Evening News, 3 October 1907, 11.
- Massachusetts, Passenger and Crew Lists, 1820-1963.
- "Old Settler Dies," Salt Lake Telegram, 7 August 1922, 5.
- Perpetual Emigrating Fund, Financial Accounts 1849-1886, Ledger A, p. 362.
- Utah Death Certificates.