- Birth Date
- 12 August 1794
- Death Date
- 16 January 1879
The Shaw family arrived in New York on 6 July 1866 via the ship Arkwright. The ship manifest shows the Shaw family traveling with Alexander, Moroni, and Sophia Duncan, but we do not see a family relationship between them. The Duncan family is also in this pioneer company.
Although only Jane is listed on the overland company records, as head of household, the notation that she purchased 2 1/2 adult food rations indicates that the rest of the family was with her for this part of the journey as well.
The inscription on her gravestone shows her death date as 17 January 1879, but it appears to be a newer marker, so we are using the death date as given in her obituary. This also confirms her travel to Utah in 1866.
In the 1870 Utah census, she is living with her daughter "Annie" and Charles Moir.
- Age at Departure: 71
- Head of Household
- 1870 Utah Census.
- “Captain Daniel Thompson, memorandum book 1, 1866.” In Perpetual Emigrating Fund Company church trains accounts 1861-1868, Captains’ accounts 1862-1868.
- "Died," Salt Lake Herald-Republican, 23 January 1879, 3.
- Find a Grave (Website)
- New York Passenger Lists, 1820-1957.
- Saints By Sea: Latter-day Saint Immigration to America
- Utah State History Cemeteries and Burials Database.