- Birth Date
- 5 March 1824
- Death Date
- 1 October 1878
James Darling Ross
James initially traveled to the Salt Lake Valley as Captain of the Guard in the John Tidwell Company in 1852. He should not be confused with David James Ross, born in 1822, who also traveled in this company.
He served a mission in England from 1853-1860 and traveled home as captain of his own company in 1860 with his wife and two children.
In some cases, James Darling Ross has been erroneously credited with being one of the men who assisted in rescuing the pioneers stranded on the plains of Wyoming the winter of 1856. British Mission records clearly document him as serving in England during this time.
- Age at Departure: 28
- Age at Departure: 36
- Company Captain
- Head of Household
- 5th Company of 50 report, 1852 September 14.
- Baer, Johann Lebrecht, Autobiography [ca. 1908], 17-18.
- Charles Sansom autobiography, 1907, 12-80.
- Council Point Emigrating Company journal, 1851 November-1852 September.
- “Died,” Salt Lake Herald, 2 October 1878, .
- Emigration list for Spring, 1860, Brigham Young office emigrating companies reports, 1850-1862.
- Find a Grave (Website)
- George K. Bowering journal, 1842 July-1875 January, 79-118.
- Journal History of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, Supplement after 31 December 1860, 19.
- Journal History of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, Supplement to 31 December 1852, 33.
- "Local News: Names of Emigrants," The Mountaineer, 18 August 1860, 206.
- Loosli, Ulrich, History of Ulrich Loosli, 1-4. (Trail excerpt from "Pioneer History Collection" available at Pioneer Memorial Museum [Daughters of Utah Pioneers Museum], Salt Lake City, Utah. Some restrictions apply.)
- Nibley, Charles W., Reminiscences of Charles W. Nibley (1849-1931) (Salt Lake City: 1934), 16-22.
- Perpetual Emigrating Fund, Financial Accounts 1849-1886, Ledger A, p. 358.
- Ross, J.D., to Brigham Young, 1 Sept. 1860. Brigham Young office files 1832-1878, General Incoming Correspondence, reel 38, box 27, fd. 18.
- Saints By Sea: Latter-day Saint Immigration to America
- Scotland Births and Baptisms, 1564-1950
- "The Immigration," Deseret News, 15 August 1860, 189.
- Utah, Deaths and Burials, 1888-1946.
- Utah, Salt Lake County Death Records, 1849-1949.