- Birth Date
- 4 December 1832
- Death Date
- 8 October 1891
Emigrated to the United States in 1860 with his father, Ulrich, and sister, Judith. They sailed on the William Tapscott. John reached Utah in 1860 and traveled alone. Perpetual Emigrating Fund records suggest that his father and sister reached Utah in 1861.
Ulrich, John, and Judith are mentioned in the Henry Reiser autobiography on the page 4. John is identified as "Johann."
Stoddard company records list his name as "John Hirschi."
The 1870 census shows the surname spelled as "Hershay."
- Age at Departure: 27
- “Emigration list for Spring, 1860.” In Brigham Young office emigrating companies reports 1850-1862, Reports 1856-1862, p. 28-29. (CR 1234 5, Box 1, Folder 56)
- Find a Grave (Website)
- Henry Reiser autobiography, circa 1871.
- Journal History of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, Supplement after 31 December 1860, 36.
- Saints By Sea: Latter-day Saint Immigration to America
- "The Immigration," Deseret News, 22 August 1860, 197.