- Birth Date
- 12 December 1833
- Death Date
- 21 June 1919
The Johnson Family traveled to the Salt Lake Valley with the Willard Richards Company in 1848. The Johnson family included Joel Hill and his children from his first marriage Sixtus Ellis, Sariah Anna, Seth Guernsey, and Nephi Johnson, and his two wives Susan Bryant and Janette Fife. Also traveling in the company was Joel’s brother Benjamin Franklin and his wives and children.
In 1860, Nephi and his cousin, Don Carlos Babbitt headed East to help the Saints heading West. He served as Sergeant of Guard and the company guide.
- Age at Departure: 14
- Age at Departure: 26
- Out-and-Back Teamster
- Bodily, Robert, Journal, in Library of Congress, Collection of Mormon diaries [1935-1938], reel 2, item 4, 9-11.
- Budge, Jesse R. S., [Reminiscences], in Our Pioneer Heritage , 20 vols. [1958-77], 4:64-65.
- Budge, William, to Brigham Young, 30 Sept. 1860, in Brigham Young, Office Files 1832-1878, reel 37, box 27, fd. 9.
- Budge, William, to George Q. Cannon, 3 Aug. 1860, in Brigham Young, Office Files 1832-1878, reel 37, box 27, fd. 9.
- Christensen, C. L., [Interview], in "Utah Pioneer Biographies," 44 vols., 7:76, 78, 80.
- Christensen, C. L., "Leaves from the Journal of C. L. Christensen," in Heart Throbs of the West , 12 vols. [1939-51], 9:1-3.
- Christensen, C. L., History of C. L. Christensen as He Told It, 1-4. (Trail excerpt transcribed from "Pioneer History Collection" available at Pioneer Memorial Museum [Daughters of Utah Pioneers Museum], Salt Lake City, Utah. Some restrictions apply.)
- Christensen, Christian Lyngaa, [Journal], in Susan Arrington Madsen, I Walked to Zion , 89-90.
- Find a Grave (Website)
- Johnson, Joel Hills, Reminiscences and journals, 1835-1882, reel 1, fd. 2, 27-33.
- Johnson, Nephi, The life sketch of Nephi Johnson (from his diary), reel 13, box 19, fd. 7, item 9, 3.
- Journal History of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, Supplement after 31 December 1848, 19.
- Journal History of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, Supplement after 31 December 1860, 47, 49.
- Mariger, Lawrence Christian, Autobiography and journal 1879-1891, 11-12.
- Nephi Johnson in A Voice From the Mountains: Life and Works of Joel Hills Johnson (1982), 250.
- Niels C. Christensen journal excerpts in Historical Department journal history of the Church, 1896-2001 July, 1860 October-December, 5 Oct. 1860, 1-8.
- Perpetual Emigrating Fund Company general files, 1850-1887.
- Pioneer emigration list 1847-1848, 118, in Docket book 1844 Feb.-1845 May.
- Seth E. Johnson autobiographical sketch, circa 1922.
- "The Immigration," Deseret News, 22 August 1860, 197.