- Birth Date
- 17 January 1814
- Death Date
- 5 December 1891
Captain of Hundred, Fifth company in 1848. Many wagons in Young's 1848 company were being pulled by teams that were "on loan" from the Pottawattamie Saints. When the company reached the Sweetwater River, word was received that reinforcement teams were on their way from the Salt Lake Valley, so on 30 August, Allen Taylor was asked leave the company and return the borrowed teams to Winter Quarters so they could be used the following year as well.
His obituary says that "The deceased came out with President Brigham Young in 1848 as far as the upper crossing of the Sweetwater, and was captain of [a hundred in] the company. He returned to the Bluffs and came to Utah with his own family the next year."
- Age at Departure: 34
- Age at Departure: 35
- Company Captain
- Head of Household
- 1850 Utah Census.
- A Mormon chronicle: the diaries of John D. Lee, 1848-1876 edited and annotated by Robert Glass Cleland and Juanita Brooks (1955), 1:30-79.
- "Allen Taylor's 100, first 50, report, 1849 September 3." In Camp of Israel schedules and reports 1845-1849. (MS 14290, Reel 3, Box 2, Folder 40)
- "Allen Taylor to Brigham Young, 6 Sept. 1848." In Brigham Young, Office Files 1832-1878, General Correspondence, Incoming, 1840-1877, S-Y, 1848. (CR 1234 1, reel 30, box 21, folder 14)
- Allred, Reddick N., Autobiographical sketch and diary, in Daughters of Utah Pioneers, Collection, 1828-1963, reel 9, item 3, 37-38.
- Averett family, Notebook [ca. 1916-1965], 36-38.
- Blood, William, [Autobiography], in Ivy Hooper Blood Hill, comp. and ed., William Blood: His Posterity and Biographies of Their Progenitors , 14-16.
- Chase, Harriett Barker, Autobiographical sketch, in Genealogical Charts and Biographical Sketches of Members of the L.D.S. Church, Ogden Stake , 26 vols., 14:104.
- Cook, Phineas Wolcott, Reminiscences and journal, 1843-1886, 52-56.
- "Death of Father Allen Taylor," Deseret News [Weekly], 2 Jan. 1892, 54.
- Erastus Snow journals, 1835-1851; 1856-1857, [Volume 5] 1847 December-1850 September.
- Find a Grave (Website)
- "First 100, report, 1848 June," In Camp of Israel schedules and reports 1845-1849, Brigham Young's 1848 emigration division.
- Hosea Stout reminiscences and journals, 1845-1869, Volume 3, 376-79, and, Volume 4, 1-41.
- Journal History of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, Supplement after 31 December 1848, 2.
- Journal History of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, Supplement after 31 December 1849, 3, 4.
- Lambert, Charles, Autobiography [ca. 1885], 26-28.
- Lambert, George C., Diaries, 1866-1912, fd. 11, 7.
- Little, James A., From Kirtland to Salt Lake City , 205-6.
- Merkley, Christopher, Biography of Christopher Merkley , 28-30.
- Moore, David, Collection 1843-1921, fd. 4, 7p.
- Morgan, Jesse, Journal, in Martha M. Morgan, A Trip Across the Plains in the Year 1849 with Notes of a Voyage to California by Way of Panama [1864; reprint 1983], 7-20.
- Neff, Elizabeth to Anna Bitner, 21 Aug. 1848, in Musser family, Letters 1847-1849; 1877.
- Redfield, D. H., to Brigham Young and Heber C. Kimball, 14 Oct. 1848, in Brigham Young, Office Files 1832-1878, reel 30, box 21, fd. 14.
- Taylor, Allen, [Letter], in Journal History of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, 3 Sept. 1849, 5-6.
- Thomas, Martha Paine Jones, [Autobiography], in E. Kay Kirkham, comp., Daniel Stillwell Thomas, Utah Pioneer of 1849 , 21-22.
- Thomas Bullock journals, 1843-1849, Journal, 1848 May-September.
- Utah State History Cemeteries and Burials Database.