- Birth Date
- 25 December 1835
- Death Date
- 22 March 1920
Stephen Wells Taylor
Stephen initially traveled to the Salt Lake Valley in the Brigham Young Company in 1848. However, he later participated as one of the rescuers that were sent out in the winter of 1856 to assist the members of the Church stranded in Wyoming.
His birth and death dates are confirmed by his death certificate and the inscription on his gravestone.
- Age at Departure: 12
- Age at Departure: 20
- Burton, Robert T., [Journal], in Journal History of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, 30 Nov. 1856, 54-58.
- Burton, Robert T., to the members of the Hand Cart Association, Handcart Veterans Association, 1 October 1907. Handcart Veterans Association, Scrapbook, 1906-1914, folder 4.
- Burton, Robert Taylor, Diaries 1856-1907, Record book, circa 1856 October-November.
- England & Wales, Non-Conformist and Non-Parochial Registers, 1567-1970.
- Esshom, Frank. Pioneers and Prominent Men of Utah, (Salt Lake City: Utah Pioneers Book Publishing Company, 1913), 1203.
- Find a Grave (Website)
- Handcart Veterans Association. Handcart Veterans Association scrapbook, 1906-1914, folder 4.
- Handcart Veterans Association. Handcart Veterans Association scrapbook, 1906-1914, folder 7.
- Josiah Rogerson, "Strong Men, Brave Women and Sturdy Children Crossed the Wilderness Afoot," Salt Lake Tribune, 4 January 1914.
- Journal History of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, Supplement after 31 December 1848, 1.
- Missionary Department Missionary Registers, 1860-1959, Volume 1.
- Utah Death Certificates.
- Woodward, W., to Albert Jones, Handcart Veterans Association, 12 Sep. 1906. Handcart Veterans Association, Scrapbook, 1906-1914, fd. 2.