- Birth Date
- 8 October 1829
- Death Date
- 4 June 1916
Sixtus Ellis Johnson
The Johnson Family traveled to the Salt Lake Valley with the Willard Richards Company in 1848. The Johnson family included Joel Hill and his children from his first marriage Sixtus Ellis, Sariah Anna, Seth Guernsey, and Nephi Johnson, and his two wives Susan Bryant and Janette Fife. Also traveling in the company was Joel’s brother Benjamin Franklin and his wives and children.
Several years later, he crossed the plains again with the 1858 Whipple Company. He served as Sergeant of the Guard for this journey.
At the end of a mission, Sixtus crossed the plains a third time on his way home. He was captain of his own company for this trip.
- Age at Departure: 18
- Age at Departure: 28
- Age at Departure: 31
- Company Captain
- 1850 Utah Census.
- Arizona Deaths, 1870-1951.
- Bell, Eli, Diaries, 1854-, vol. 4.
- Franklin W. Young autobiography, circa 1915-1917.
- John R. Young, Memoirs of John R. Young: Utah Pioneer, 1847 (1920), 109-14.
- Johnson, Seth E., Autobiographical sketch [ca. 1922], -16.
- Johnson, Sixtus Ellis, [Autobiography], in A Voice From the Mountains: Life and Works of Joel Hills Johnson , 247.
- Johnson, Sixtus Ellis, [Journal], in David Ellis Johnson, comp., Leaves from the Family Tree of Sixtus Ellis Johnson , 121-42.
- Johnson, Sixtus Ellis, Journal, vol. 3, in Diaries 1854-1857.
- Nephi Johnson in A Voice From the Mountains: Life and Works of Joel Hills Johnson (1982), 250.
- Pioneer emigration list 1847-1848, 118, in Docket book 1844 Feb.-1845 May.
- Seth E. Johnson autobiographical sketch, circa 1922.
- Sixtus E. Johnson Emigrating Company journal, 1861 July-September.
- Staheli, John, The life of John and Barbara Staheli [ca. 1940], [2-3].
- Teasdale, George, Autobiography, in University of California [Berkeley] Bancroft Library, Utah and the Mormons collection [n.d.], reel 3, 11-13.