- Birth Date
- 28 June 1807
- Death Date
- 14 October 1881
Edwin Dilworth Woolley
Edwin initially traveled to the Salt Lake Valley with the Brigham Young Company in 1848, as a captain of ten, with his wife, Mary Wickersham and their children, Rachel Emma, Franklin Benjamin, and Mary Louisa, according to Rachel Emma Woolley Simmons’ Biography. Mary Louisa was born on 5 July, while the company was camped at Goose Creek. Also in the company was his brother Samuel Amos and his wife Catherine Elizabeth Mehring.
When the family made it to the Salt Lake Valley, they ate with Edwin's brother, John Mills Woolley, who had traveled to the Salt Lake Valley the year before with the Abraham O. Smoot/George B. Wallace Company in 1847, according to Rachel Emma Woolley Simmons’ Biography.
Edwin was re-baptized 9 May 1854 at Salt Lake City and his name appears in the Utah Territorial Militia records at St. George as early as November 1848.
In October of 1849, Edwin was called on a mission with Edwin Hunter, Presiding Bishop, to travel east to procure supplies for the saints in Kanesville. At the end of this mission, he traveled home in the Edward Hunter Company in 1850, as a captain of fifty.
- Age at Departure: 40
- Head of Household
- Age at Departure: 43
- Head of Household
- Brief Biography of Rachel Emma Woolley Simmons, 11-14. Trail excerpt transcribed from "Pioneer History Collection" available at Pioneer Memorial Museum [Daughters of Utah Pioneers Museum], Salt Lake City, Utah. Some restrictions apply.
- Catharine E. Mehring Wooley's journal transcribed by J. Cecil Alter and printed in serial in "In the Beginning: Diaries of Mormon Pioneers," Salt Lake Telegram. 7 Jan. 1935; 8 Jan. 1935; 9 Jan. 1935; 10 Jan.1935; 1 Jan. 1935. (Link will direct to the first installment of the serial.)
- "First 100, report, 1848 June" in Camp of Israel schedules and reports 1845-1849, Brigham Young's 1848 emigration division.
- Hunter, Edward and Robert Campbell, to Brigham Young, 17 July 1850, in Brigham Young, Office Files 1832-1878, reel 31, box 22, fd. 1.
- Hunter, Edward and Robert Campbell, to Brigham Young, 22 Aug. 1850, in Brigham Young, Office Files 1832-1878, reel 31, box 22, fd. 1.
- Journal History of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, Supplement after 31 December 1848, 2.
- Journal History of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, Supplement after 31 December 1850, 7, 12.
- Lorenzo Brown reminiscences and diaries, 1856-1900, Volume 1, 37-53.
- Martha S. Heywood reminiscences, undated, Journal, 1850 January-1856 August.
- Salt Lake City Property Index.
- Salt Lake Stake Record of Members, 1848-1917.
- Utah, Territorial Militia Records, 1849-1877.
- William Carruth autobiography and journal, 1856-1863, 17-19, 26.