- Birth Date
- 11 September 1825
- Death Date
- 23 March 1900
Samuel Amos Woolley
Samuel initially traveled to the Salt Lake Valley with the Brigham Young Company in 1848 with his wife, Catherine Elizabeth Mehring, according to Rachel Emma Woolley Simmons’ Biography. He traveled with his brother, Edwin Dilworth and his wife Mary Wickersham, and their children, Rachel Emma, Franklin Benjamin, and Mary Louisa. Mary Louisa was born on July the fifth, while the company was camped at Goose Creek.
When the family made it to the Salt Lake Valley, they ate with Samuel’s brother, John Mills Woolley, who had traveled to the Salt Lake Valley the year before with the Abraham O. Smoot/George B. Wallace Company in 1847, according to Rachel Emma Woolley Simmons’ Biography.
In 1856, at the end of a mission to India, Samuel traveled home with the Philemon C. Merrill Company as captain of the guard, according to Amos’ diary.
In 1861, he again traveled to the Salt Lake Valley as Captain of the Samuel A. Woolley Company, according to his diary.
- Age at Departure: 22
- Age at Departure: 30
- Returning Missionary
- Age at Departure: 35
- Company Captain
- Bitton, Ronald Davis, Guide to Mormon Diaries & Autobiographies , p. 394
- Carruth, William, Autobiography and journal, 1857-1863, 17-19, 26.
- "Emigrants for Utah," Deseret News, 6 August 1856, 8.
- Find a Grave (Website)
- "First 100, report, 1848 June," In Camp of Israel schedules and reports 1845-1849, Brigham Young's 1848 emigration division.
- Journal History of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, 22 September 1861, 2.
- Journal History of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, Supplement after 31 December 1848, 9.
- Lindholm, Carl Eric, Transcription of diary, 11. (Trail excerpt transcribed from "Pioneer History Collection" available at Pioneer Memorial Museum [Daughters of Utah Pioneers Museum], Salt Lake City, Utah. Some restrictions apply.)
- Missionary Department Missionary Registers, 1860-1959, Volume 1.
- Nielsen, Peter, Journal, 1854 June-1867 Mar., 358-63.
- Our Pioneer Heritage, vol. 5, 49.
- Salt Lake City Property Index.
- Samuel A. Woolley papers, 1846-1899, Volume 6, 213-44 and Volume 7, 1-15.
- Simmons, Rachel Emma Woolley, Brief Biography of Rachel Emma Woolley Simmons, 11-14. (Trail excerpt transcribed from "Pioneer History Collection" available at Pioneer Memorial Museum [Daughters of Utah Pioneers Museum], Salt Lake City, Utah. Some restrictions apply.)
- Tripp, Enoch B, Autobiography, in Daughters of Utah Pioneers, Collection, 1828-1963, reel 17, item 13, 19.
- Wilcox, Matilda Neilson, Autobiographical sketch.
- Woolley, Samuel Amos, Diaries, 1846-1899, reel #1, box 1, fd. 3, vol. 9.