- Birth Date
- 7 September 1814
- Death Date
- 18 February 1883
John Van Cott
John initially traveled to the Salt Lake Valley as a Captain of Ten and a Marshall in the Daniel Spencer/Perrigrine Sessions Company in 1847. He traveled with his wife, Lucy Lavinia, mother, and children. He was re-baptized at Salt Lake City on 29 August 1852. He crossed the plains again in 1856 as a returning missionary. Immediately after arriving, he turned around and went back out to participate as one of the rescuers that were sent out to assist the members of the Church stranded in Wyoming.
In 1862, he was president of the Liljenquist and Madsen companies that traveled close together. Research is unable to determine which of those two companies he primarily traveled with.
- Age at Departure: 32
- Head of Household
- Age at Departure: 41
- Returning Missionary
- Age at Departure: 42
- Age at Departure: 47
- Age at Departure: 47
- "Arrival of the Danish Companies," Deseret News, 24 September 1862, 100.
- "Arrivals," Deseret News [Weekly], 8 October 1856, 245.
- "Death of Elder John Van Cott," Deseret Evening News , 19 Feb. 1883, 2.
- "Eastern Immigration," Deseret News [Weekly], 10 Sep. 1862, 81.
- Find a Grave (Website)
- J[aques], J[ohn], "Some Reminiscences," Salt Lake Daily Herald, 8 December 1878, 1.
- Jens C. A. Weibye, reminiscences and journal, circa 1862 in Orson B. West typescript collection, circa 1982-1987, 281-333.
- Jenson, Andrew, Latter-day Saint Biographical Encyclopedia , 1:198-99.
- Journal History of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, 1 September 1856, 1-2.
- Journal History of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, 21 June 1847, 7.
- Journal History of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, 28 October 1856, 1-2.
- "Journey from Florence to G. S. L. City," Deseret News [Weekly], 22 October 1856, 258.
- Kuhre, Martin Petersen, Journal 1861 Jan.-1865 Sept., 45-48.
- Liljenquist, Ola N., History of O. N. Liljenquist, 8. (Trail excerpt transcribed from "Pioneer History Collection" available at Pioneer Memorial Museum [Daughters of Utah Pioneers Museum], Salt Lake City, Utah. Some restrictions apply.)
- Liljenquist, Ola Nilsson, [Reminiscences], in Our Pioneer Heritage, 20 vols. [1958-77], 6:48-49.
- Lund, Anthon H. Scandinavian Jubilee Album (Salt Lake City: Deseret News, 1900).
- Madsen, Christian A., Letter, Gunnison [Utah], 13 Feb. 1869, , in Missionary Reports, 1831-1900.
- Martin, Sophronia Moore, Autobiographical sketch [ca. 1915], 1.
- Pratt, Parley P., Autobiography of Parley P. Pratt , 329-31.
- "Return of Missionaries," Deseret News [Weekly], 17 Sep. 1862, 96.
- Robert T. Burton diaries, 1856-1907; Record book, circa 1856 October-November.
- Spencer, Claudius to Brigham Young, 12 November 1856. Brigham Young office files 1832-1878, General Incoming Correspondence.
- Utah State History Cemeteries and Burials Database.
- William Broomhead diary, 1856 October-1857 April.