- Birth Date
- 12 January 1816
- Death Date
- 9 March 1880
Benjamin Thomas Mitchell
The Mitchell family initially traveled to the Salt Lake Valley with the Heber C. Kimball Company in 1848. Benjamin Thomas was a Captain of Ten. The Mitchell family included Benjamin and his three wives Lovina Buckwalter, Lois Judd, and Caroline Conrad, and four children Benjamin Thomas, Sarah Jane, Emily, and Joseph Smith.
Then in 1854, he then traveled to the Salt Lake Valley as Captain of the Benjamin Thomas Mitchell Company.
His death date is confirmed by is obituary and the Record of Deaths in Salt Lake City.
Benjamin was rebaptized in Salt Lake City on 1 November 1848.
- Age at Departure: 32
- Head of Household
- Age at Departure: 38
- Company Captain
- 1850 Utah Census, Salt Lake County.
- Andrew Jenson, "Mitchell, Benjamin Thomas," Latter-day Saint Biographical Encyclopedia, Volume 2 (Salt Lake City, Utah: The Andrew Jenson History Company, 1971), 369-370.
- Camp of Israel schedules and reports, 1845-1849.
- Early Missionary Database
- Find a Grave (Website)
- Heber C. Kimball journals, 1848 June-July and 1848 July-September, in Heber C. Kimball papers, 1837-1866.
- Journal History of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, 5 August 1854, 3.
- Journal History of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, Supplement after 31 December 1848, 12.
- Mitchell, Benjamin Thomas, Journal [ca. 1853-1866].
- Mitchell, Susannah Huston Matlock, Journal, May-Aug 1854.
- Nauvoo Community Project
- Norton Jacob reminiscence and journal, 1844 May-1852 January, 110-115.
- Record of Deaths in Salt Lake City, 1848-1890
- Salt Lake Stake, Record of members collection, 1836-1970.
- "Sudden Death," Deseret Evening News , 9 Mar. 1880, 3.
- Wightman, William Charles, Autobiography, 1907-1912.