- Birth Date
- 21 August 1826
- Death Date
- 13 April 1910
James and his wife Mary came from England in 1864 on the ship Monarch of the Sea. He is listed with other people by mistake.
An alternate spelling is in Journal History. He was from Basingstoke, England. The company he traveled with was also noted in local church financial records.
The surname is spelled "Stephens" on the 1870 Utah census.
- Age at Departure: 37
- Head of Household
- 1870 Utah Census, Weber County.
- Captain John R. Murdock Company (first mule train), manifests, 1864.
- Find a Grave
- Historical Department journal history of the Church, 1830-2008, 26 August 1864, 1A.
- "List of Passengers," Deseret News, 10 August 1864, 361.
- Perpetual Emigrating Fund, Financial Accounts 1849-1886, Ledger C, p. 398.