- Birth Date
- 23 December 1837
- Death Date
- 2 April 1904
In the 1850 Pottawattamie, Iowa census John is in the household of Thomas and Elizabeth "Bloxam." Thomas "Bloxham," his father, appears in the 1852 Iowa census and as Thomas "Bloxam" in the 1852 Immigrant Location Committee document. Presumably John traveled west with his father because he married at Salt Lake City in 1867. Further research is needed to identify the name of the pioneer company with which the family crossed the plains.
John was a teamster in the Preston company. His surname was spelled "Blocksom," or Blockson," in the Preston company sources.
More research is needed to confirm John's birth and death dates. Dates listed reflect family tradition from Family Tree at FamilySearch.org, Findagrave.
- Age at Departure: 26
- Out-and-Back Teamster
- Age at Departure: 14
- 1850 Iowa Census, Pottawattamie County.
- Bodily, Robert, Journal, in Library of Congress, Collection of Mormon diaries [1935-1938], reel 2, item 4, 14-17.
- "Captain William B. Preston, memorandum book, 1864," Perpetual Emigrating Fund Company church trains accounts 1861-1868, Captains' accounts 1862-1868.
- “Captain William B. Preston Company (first ox train), manifest, 1864.” Perpetual Emigrating Fund Company church trains accounts 1861-1868, Captains’ accounts, 1862-1868.
- England Births and Christenings, 1538-1975
- Find a Grave (Website)
- “Freight Manifests, 1864, 1868.” In Perpetual Emigrating Fund Company church trains accounts 1861-1868, Freight manifests, 1861-1868, p. 12-31. (CR 376 8, Box 1, Folder 4)
- Presiding Bishopric. Immigrant Location Committee Minutes, (20 September - 13 October 1852).