- Birth Date
- 7 March 1822
- Death Date
- 29 May 1909
Commissary of company. Also acted as clerk while on the ship Hudson. His birth date and death date are confirmed by his obituary. However, there is a mistake in the obituary regarding the year of his immigration to Utah. The obituary states that he came to Utah in 1865, however, John Lyman Smith's journal makes it clear that Alexander did indeed travel with the 1864 Hyde company.
- Age at Departure: 30
- 1851 Scotland Census
- 1870 Utah Census.
- 1880 Utah Census.
- "Died," Ogden Standard Examiner, 30 May 1909, 18.
- John T. Gerber journal, Historical Department journal history of the Church, 1830-2008, 26 October 1864, 3-9.
- New York Passenger Lists, 1820-1957.
- Smith, John Lyman, Autobiography and journals, 1846-1864; 1894-1897, vol. 3, 188-91.
- Smith, John Lyman, Diary in John Lyman Smith, Papers, 1845-1875, vol. 2, 102-117.