- Birth Date
- 14 May 1817
- Death Date
- 29 April 1896
William Holgate Sr.
The Holgate family arrived in New York on 23 June 1864 via the ship The General McClellan. William's wife, Martha, died shortly before the ship left Liverpool, and his infant son, Seth, died on the ship.
Only William Sr., Hannah, and John are seen on the Warren Company roster. It is likely that William Jr. hired out as a teamster to help pay passage, but further research is needed to confirm that and which company he hired out for.
Daughter, Mary, is also not seen beyond the ship records. It is assumed that she died prior to the overland journey.
- Age at Departure: 47
- Head of Household
- 1870 Utah Census, Beaver County.
- “Captain William S. Warren Company (third ox train), manifests, 1864.” Perpetual Emigrating Fund Company church trains accounts 1861-1868, Captains’ accounts, 1862-1868. (CR 376 8, Box 1, Folder 13)
- "List of Passengers," Deseret News, 17 August 1864, 369.
- New York Passenger Lists, 1820-1957.
- Perpetual Emigrating Fund, Financial Accounts 1849-1886, Ledger C, p. 315.
- Saints By Sea: Latter-day Saint Immigration to America
- Utah, Territorial Militia Records, 1849-1877.