- Birth Date
- 28 October 1828
- Death Date
- 24 June 1881
John initially traveled to the Salt Lake Valley in the William B. Hodgetts Company in 1856. He was a shoemaker.
At the end of a mission to Sweden, he traveled home with the Miner G. Atwood Company in 1865. He assisted a group from Copenhagen heading for the Salt Lake Valley. When the group left Florence, John was appointed steward of the company. During this trek, he was involved in an Indian attack near Laramie and was shot with two or three arrows in his arm.
He returned to America in 1865 on the ship Hamburg.
- Age at Departure: 27
- Age at Departure: 36
- Returning Missionary
- Albert Wesley Davis, A pioneer experience 1926, 1-3.
- Dan Jones Emigrating Company journal, 1856 May-December.
- Historical Department journal history of the Church, 1896-2001, 15 December 1856, 16-37.
- "Immigration Lists," Deseret News, 20 September 1865, 402-403.
- "Immigration to Utah," Deseret News, 15 October 1856, 254.
- John Bond, Handcarts West in '56.
- Journal History of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, 15 December 1856, 6.
- "Manuscript History of Wyoming, Nebraska, 1860-1870." In Manuscript histories of Church in United States circa 1910-1971. (Miner G. Atwood, journal excerpts, p. 32-33) (MS 4029)
- Missionary Department Missionary Registers, 1860-1959, Volume 1.
- Nielson, Peter Anton, Autobiographical sketch, [1-2], in Utah Pioneer Biographies, compiled by Yalecrest Camp, Daughters of the Utah Pioneers.
- Peter A. Nielsen reminiscence, undated, 1-23.
- Romney, Junius, "An Exciting Trip Across the Plains," Juvenile Instructor , 1 Jan. 1895, 34-35.
- "The Indian Attack Near Laramie," Semi-Weekly Telegraph, 5 October 1865, 2.
- Utah, Deaths and Burials, 1888-1946.
- Utah, Salt Lake County Death Records, 1849-1949.
- Utah State History Cemeteries and Burials Database.
- W. B. Hodgetts Company report, 1856.