- Birth Date
- Death Date
- 1 August 1857
Ann was the daughter of Biddy Mason and was an African American slave. In "John Brown's company of 10, report, 1848," only one "colored person" named "Ann" was listed. The Ann listed in the record was 11 years old and belonged to Robert M. Smith. At this time, this Ann is believed to be "Ann" the daughter of "Hannah" who also belonged to Robert M. Smith. However, it is interesting to note that in the "Mississippi company, report, 1848 May," Robert M. Smith had 10 "colored persons" with him. Biddy's daughter Ann could have been indirectly listed there as "John Brown's company of 10" source only lists nine "colored persons" belonging to Robert M. Smith.
No primary source records have been located concerning her birth but indirect and secondary sources state and imply that she was born 1843-1844.
The 1850 Census was actually taken in 1851.
Delilah Beasley's book, The Negro Trail Blazers of California, cites a family bible which listed Ann's date of death.
- Age at Departure: 4
- Robert Mays Smith (Age: 43)
- Rebecca Ruth Smith (Age: 38)
- Biddy Mason (Age: 29)
- Rande (Age: 26)
- John Dorn Smith (Age: 13)
- William D. Smith (Age: 11)
- Ellen Mason (Age: 9)
- Elijah B. Smith (Age: 9)
- James S. Smith (Age: 5)
- Sarah F. Smith (Age: 3)
- Joseph Smith (Age: Infant)
- Jane (Age: Infant)
- Harriet Mason (Age: Infant)
- Hannah Smith (Age: Unknown)
- Nelson (Age: Unknown)
- Lawrence (Age: Unknown)
- Ann (Age: Unknown)
- African American Women: A Biographical Dictionary , Dorothy C. Salem, ed., New York: Garland Publishing, 1993, 351.
- Beasley, Delilah L. The Negro Trail Blazers of California (New York: Negro Universities Press, 1919), 109-110.
- Brown, John Zimmerman, comp. Autobiography of Pioneer John Brown, 1820-1896 (Salt Lake City, 1941), 88, 96, 100.
- California State Census, 1852.
- Carter, Kate B. The Story of the Negro Pioneer. (Salt Lake City: Daughters of Utah Pioneers, 1965), 33.
- “Mississippi company, report, 1848 May.” In Camp of Israel schedules and reports 1845-1849
- Mulford, Karen Surina. Trailblazers: Twenty Amazing Western Women (Flagstaff, Arizona: Northland Publishing, 2001), 2, 24-31.
- "Slave Inhabitants in Utah County, Deseret," 1850 Utah Census, Utah County.
- Smith, Jessie Carney, ed. Notable Black American Women (Detroit: Gale Research Inc., 1992), 732-734.