- Birth Date
- Between 1813 and 1817
- Death Date
- 8 October 1873
Grief was an African American man enslaved by William Crosby.
Grief's age was listed as 32 in "John Brown's company of 10, report, 1848 June."
Census records and "John Brown's company of 10, report, 1848 June," imply that Grief was born sometime between 1813 and 1817. Findagrave.com states that he was born 1806 but there is no headstone or source to support that date.
In the 1870 census, Grief and his family was listed under the surname Ambrose.
More research is needed concerning Grief's date of death. Findagrave.com and other secondary sources state he died in October 1873. However, no primary sources have been located to support that date.
- Age at Departure: Unknown
- 1860 United States Census
- 1870 United States Federal Census
- California State Census, 1852.
- Carter, Kate B. The Story of the Negro Pioneer. (Salt Lake City: Daughters of Utah Pioneers, 1965), 5, 22, 31.
- Find a Grave (Website)
- John Brown's company of 10, report, 1848 June.
- Mississippi company, report, 1848 May.
- "Slave Inhabitants in Utah County, Deseret," 1850 Utah Census, Utah County.