- Birth Date
- August 1847
- Death Date
- 9 June 1914
Harriet was the daughter of Biddy Mason. She was an enslaved African American and traveled with Robert M. Smith according to "John Brown's company of 10, report, 1848 June."
The 1850 Census was actually taken in 1851.
The 1900 Census states that Harriet was born August 1847. John Brown's company of 10, report, 1848 June, states listed Harriet's age as "3/4." No original sources have been located to identify an exact birth date. Indirect and secondary sources state and imply a birth year ranging from 1846-1848.
- Age at Departure: Infant
- Robert Mays Smith (Age: 43)
- Rebecca Ruth Smith (Age: 38)
- Biddy Mason (Age: 29)
- Rande (Age: 26)
- John Dorn Smith (Age: 13)
- William D. Smith (Age: 11)
- Ellen Mason (Age: 9)
- Elijah B. Smith (Age: 9)
- James S. Smith (Age: 5)
- Ann Mason (Age: 4)
- Sarah F. Smith (Age: 3)
- Joseph Smith (Age: Infant)
- Jane (Age: Infant)
- Hannah Smith (Age: Unknown)
- Nelson (Age: Unknown)
- Lawrence (Age: Unknown)
- Ann (Age: Unknown)
- 1900 United States Federal Census
- African American Women: A Biographical Dictionary , Dorothy C. Salem, ed., New York: Garland Publishing, 1993, 351.
- Beasley, Delilah L. The Negro Trail Blazers of California (New York: Negro Universities Press, 1919), 109-110.
- Brown, John Zimmerman, comp. Autobiography of Pioneer John Brown, 1820-1896 (Salt Lake City, 1941), 88, 96, 100.
- California, Death Index, 1905-1939.
- California State Census, 1852.
- Carter, Kate B. The Story of the Negro Pioneer. (Salt Lake City: Daughters of Utah Pioneers, 1965), 33.
- John Brown's company of 10, report, 1848 June in Camp of Israel schedules and reports 1845-1849.
- Mississippi company, report, 1848 May in Camp of Israel schedules and reports, 1845-1849.
- Mulford, Karen Surina. Trailblazers: Twenty Amazing Western Women (Flagstaff, Arizona: Northland Publishing, 2001), 2, 24-31.
- "Slave Inhabitants in Utah County, Deseret," 1850 Utah Census, Utah County.
- Smith, Jessie Carney, ed. Notable Black American Women (Detroit: Gale Research Inc., 1992), 732-734.