- Birth Date
- 18 March 1819
- Death Date
- 3 February 1871
William Sidney Smith Willes
William as served as a member of the Mormon Battalion, along with his brother, Ira Jones. They both initially traveled to the Salt Lake Valley in Jonathan H. Holmes/Samuel Thompson Company in 1848 after their service.
In 1865, William traveled to the Salt Lake Valley as Captain of the William S. S. Willes Company in 1865.
- Age at Departure: 29
- Age at Departure: 46
- Company Captain
- "Captain W. S. S. Willis' Company," Deseret News, 20 September 1865, 403.
- Ephraim Green journal, 1848 June-September and 1849 December.
- Find a Grave (Website)
- Missionary Department Missionary Registers, 1860-1959, Volume 1.
- "Names of men who wish for land to cultivate who came from California with Jonathan H. Holmes," Land records, circa 1847-1860, Salt Lake (County) Recorder's Office land records, circa 1847-1860.
- Ricketts, Norma Baldwin, The Mormon Battalion: U.S. Army of the West, 1846-1848 , , 222-23.
- "The Immigration," Deseret News [Weekly], 13 Sep. 1865, 397.
- Thompson, Annie Maria Kershaw, "History of Annie Maria Kershaw Thompson," in Danny Jessop and Marla W. Jessop, comps., Joseph Frederick Thompson Ancestry , 38.
- W. S. Willes letter to Brigham Young, 8 September 1865.