- Birth Date
- 23 October 1820
- Death Date
- 4 November 1896
John Brown traveled with the Mississippi Saints as far as Fort Pueblo in Colorado, where they stopped for the winter. In the mean time, he returned to Mississippi to collect the rest of the Mississippi saints. Brigham Young sent him word to leave them there for another year, but to come to Winter Quarters to travel with the vanguard company of 1847, which he did, serving as captain of the 13th ten. After arriving in the valley, he immediately returned to Mississippi, collected a small group of members, and took them back to Winter Quarters, where they joined with the 1848 Willard Richards Company. He served as Captain of the 4th ten in that company.
In both 1851 and 1853, he captained his own emigrant companies.
He was a returning missionary from England in 1862.
Some of his travels are mentioned in the obituary of his daughter, Martha.
John's date of birth was listed as 23 October 1820 in "John Brown's company of 10, report, 1848 June."
- Age at Departure: 25
- Age at Departure: 26
- Age at Departure: 27
- Head of Household
- Age at Departure: 30
- Company Captain
- Age at Departure: 32
- Company Captain
- Age at Departure: 41
- Returning Missionary
- Albert P. Rockwood journals, 1847-1853, Journal, 1847 April-July.
- Amasa M. Lyman collection, 1832-1877, Journal, 1847 April 8-September 10, 1-26 and 1-10. Events recorded by Albert Carrington.
- Appleton M. Harmon diary, 1847 April-July.
- Archer, Lucy Brown. Autobiography of Colonel William Nicol Fife.
- Brown, John, Autobiographical sketch [n.d.], fd. 1, 54.
- Brown, John, Autobiography, p. 96-102
- Brown, John, Reminiscences and journals, 1843-1896, vol. 1, 155-56.
- Brown, John, Reminiscences and journals, 1843-1896, vol. 1, 189-94.
- Brown, John, and A. M. Harmon to Brigham Young, 12 Oct. 1853, in Brigham Young, Office Files 1832-1878, reel 32, box 22, fd. 21.
- Brown, John, and A. M. Harmon to Brigham Young, 17 Sept. 1853, in Brigham Young, Office Files 1832-1878, reel 32, box 22, fd. 21.
- Brown, John, and Preston Thomas, to Thomas Bullock, 19 Sep. 1851, in Brigham Young, Office Files 1832-1878, reel 31, box 22, fd. 5.
- Camp of Israel schedules and reports, 1845-1849.
- Derrick, Zachariah Wise, Journal 1851, 2-3.
- Elias Smith journals, 1836-1888, Journal, 1851 May-1854 October, 13-35 [images 14-36].
- Eliza P. Lyman journal, 1846 February-1885 December, 1927, Journal, 1846 February-1885 December, 43-45.
- Find a Grave (Website)
- "Funeral Services for Martha Bullock Held Monday," Pleasant Grove Review, 8 Mar. 1935, 1.
- Heber C. Kimball journal in Heber C. Kimball papers, 1837-1866.
- Howard Egan, Pioneering the West, 1846 to 1878, edited and compiled by William M. Egan (1917), 21-105.
- “John Brown, Pioneer," Deseret News, 11 Nov. 1893, 32.
- John Brown Emigrating Company journal, 1851 July-September.
- John Brown autobiographical sketch, undated.
- John Brown reminiscences and journals, 1843-1896, Volume 1, 1843 May-1860 April, 109-13.
- John Brown reminiscences and journals, 1843-1896, Volume 1, 56-70.
- John Brown's company of 10, report, 1848 June in Camp of Israel schedules and reports 1845-1849.
- John G. Chambers, “Second Letter from the Mormon City, Utah Territory. To the Editor to the Examiner and Times,” Manchester Examiner, 2 September 1854, 11.
- "Joseph Chatterley" in Biographical Information Relating to Mormon Pioneer Overland Travel database.
- Journal History of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, Supplement after 31 December 1848, 17.
- Journal History of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, Supplement after 31 December 1851, 6A.
- Kesler, Frederick, Autobiography, in Ned R. Veater, Veater Family History, 1787-1990 , 359.
- Levi Jackman journal, 1847 March-1849 April, 35-59.
- Missionary Department Missionary Registers, 1860-1959, Volume 1.
- Mississippi company, report, 1848 May in Camp of Israel schedules and reports, 1845-1849.
- Norton Jacob reminiscence and journal, 1844 May-1852 January, 47-85.
- "Patriarch John Brown Dead," Deseret News [Weekly], 14 Nov. 1896, 697.
- Rigby, William Frederick, [Autobiographical sketch], in Joseph Eckersley, Journal and reminiscence A record of the dealings of God with me Joseph Eckersley 1842-1884.
- Robert Williams autobiography, circa 1859, 118-25.
- Rollins, James H., Sketches from camp journal of Pres. Amasa Lyman's Company [24 July 1848 report], in George Albert Smith, Papers, 1834-1882, box 4, fd. 11.
- Thomas Bullock journals, 1843-1849, Journal, 1847 April-June.
- Utah, Early Mormon Missionary Database
- Wilford Woodruff journal, 1847 January-1853 December, 25-77.
- William A. Empey, "The Journal of William A. Empey, May 7-August 4, 1847," edited by Dale L. Morgan, Annals of Wyoming (July-October 1949), 124-33.
- William Clayton diaries, 1846-1853, Folder contents: (2) Volume 2, 1847.