- Birth Date
- 25 March 1802
- Death Date
- 7 February 1883
The list of passengers published in the Deseret News indicates that James was traveling with his "wife and 5 children." This was his wife Sarah Ann Poole Jones Clark Turner (recently married in St. Louis when both of their spouses died) and her three children, Francis, Alice and Eddie. The remaining two children were James' adult children, Henry and Joseph, from his marriage with his previous marriage with Alice Turner.
James' wife, Sarah, died shortly before arriving at Salt Lake and her children were sent to live with different families in the valley.
- Age at Departure: 66
- 1850 Missouri Census, St. Louis County
- "Died," Deseret News, 14 February 1883, 64.
- England Births and Christenings, 1538-1975
- "List of Passengers," Deseret Evening News, 17 August 1868, 2.
- Names of Persons and Sureties Indebted to the Perpetual Emigrating Fund Company from 1850 to 1877 Inclusive .
- Perpetual Emigrating Fund, Financial Accounts 1849-1886, Ledger D, p. 174.
- Utah State History Cemeteries and Burials Database.