- Birth Date
- 18 February 1806
- Death Date
- 14 January 1889
Justin J. Merrill
Salt Lake Recorder's Land office records place him in the Valley in 1848 when he filed for a residential lot. His name and that of his his wife and a 7-year-old son (George) also appear on a non-contemporary list in Journal History (Supplement after 31 Dec. 1848, 19), indicating they were with him in the Valley in 1848. However, it is highly unlikely that they traveled with him to Utah in 1848.
Justin came to Utah alone in 1848, filed for a lot in the city, and returned to Winter Quarters to retreive his family. They all traveled back to the Valley together in 1849.
- Age at Departure: 42
- Age at Departure: 43
- Head of Household
- 1850 Utah Census, Salt Lake County.
- Frank Esshom, Pioneers and Prominent Men of Utah (Salt Lake City: Utah Pioneers Book Publishing Company, 1913), 1034.
- Journal History of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, Supplement after 31 December 1848, 19.
- Journal History of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, Supplement after 31 December 1849, 5G.
- [List of those filing for lots, 1848], in Salt Lake County Recorder's Office, Land records [ca. 1847-1860].
- Silas Richards company, 1849 September in Camp of Israel schedules and reports, 1845-1849.
- Silas Richards letter to Brigham Young, 24 August 1849.
- Silas Richards reminiscences and journal, circa 1849-1871, transcribed by Ailcy C. Morrell, 4-12.