- Birth Date
- 1 May 1802
- Death Date
- 23 July 1883
James Davenport was part of the 11th Company of Ten led by John S. Higbee. He worked as a blacksmith and stayed with others to help operate the Platte River ferry and continued on to Salt Lake Valley with the oncoming companies.
Shortly after arriving in the Valley, he returned to Winter Quarters to collect his family. They crossed the plains together in either 1851 or 1852. They are listed in the 1850 Iowa census, and James is listed in the 1852 Bishop's Report. Further research is needed to narrow the year of this second trip to the Valley and to identify the name of the company they traveled with.
- Age at Departure: 44
- Age at Departure: Unknown
- Head of Household
- 1850 Iowa Census
- Albert P. Rockwood journals, 1847-1853, Journal, 1847 April-July.
- Amasa M. Lyman collection, 1832-1877, Journal, 1847 April 8-September 10, 1-26 and 1-10. Events recorded by Albert Carrington.
- Appleton M. Harmon diary, 1847 April-July.
- Charles A. Harper diary, 1847 April-August.
- Find a Grave (Website)
- George Benjamin Wallace Emigrating Company journal, 1847 June-September.
- Heber C. Kimball journal in Heber C. Kimball papers, 1837-1866.
- Howard Egan, Pioneering the West, 1846 to 1878, edited and compiled by William M. Egan (1917), 21-105.
- John S. Higbee reminiscences and diaries, 1845-1866. Transcriptions from volumes 1 and 2.
- Norton Jacob reminiscence and journal, 1844 May-1852 January, 47-85.
- "Registry of Names of Persons Residing in the Various Wards as to Bishops' Reports, Great Salt Lake City, Dec. 28th, A.D. 1852." In Wright, Norman Edgar, ed., Key to Migration Sources Great Britain and North America.
- Thomas Bullock journals, 1843-1849, Journal, 1847 April-June.
- William A. Empey, "The Journal of William A. Empey, May 7-August 4, 1847," edited by Dale L. Morgan, Annals of Wyoming (July-October 1949), 124-33.
- William Clayton diaries, 1846-1853, Folder contents: (2) Volume 2, 1847.