- Birth Date
- 14 September 1834
- Death Date
- 19 October 1903
Ellen Maria Richards
Ellen Maria Partington
Ellen crossed the Atlantic on the ship Swanton in 1843 with her parents, Ralph and Ann Partington and her siblings. The ship manifest incorrectly shows their surname as "Barkington."
In her diary Ellen said that she was adopted by Willard and Jeannetta Richards in 1844. (Her parents were still living. They came to Utah in 1853 with the Moses Clawson pioneer company.) The 1850 Utah census, which was taken in the spring of 1851, shows her name simply as Ellen, age 16, living with Rhoda Richards, the mother of Willard Richards.
On 27 March 1851, Ellen was rebaptized in Salt Lake City. The Salt Lake Stake Record of Members records her name as "Ellen Partington" at the time of this ordinance.
On 19 June 1851, she married John Moburn Kay, and the 1856 Utah census shows her name as Ellen P. Kay.
- Age at Departure: 13
- 1850 Utah Census.
- 1856 Utah Census.
- Diary of Ellen Partington Kay, in A Hardy Heritage, June Hardy Allred, comp., Bountiful, Utah: Family History Publishers, 1995, p. 28.
- Diary of Ellen Partington Kay, p. 1.
- "Died," Salt Lake Herald-Republican, 21 October 1903, p. 8.
- "Died," Salt Lake Tribune, 20 October 1903, p. 12.
- Find a Grave (Website)
- Saints By Sea: Latter-day Saint Immigration to America
- Salt Lake Stake, Record of members collection, 1836-1970.