- Birth Date
- 16 August 1815
- Death Date
- 23 July 1873
Sylvester Henry Earl
Earl initially traveled to the Salt Lake Valley in Brigham Young's 1847 vanguard company but shortly after his arrival, returned to Winter Quarters to collect his family. They returned again in Brigham Young's 1848 Company. Earl acted as a captain of ten. Several years later, Earl again crossed the plains to Utah with the Seth M. Blair/Edward Stevenson company as a returning missionary in 1855, at which time he served as a counselor, Captain of Ten and Chaplain.
Rebaptized on 8 August 1847. Rebaptism record lists his birth date as 15 August 1815.
- Age at Departure: 31
- Age at Departure: 32
- Head of Household
- Age at Departure: 39
- Returning Missionary
- A Mormon chronicle: the Diaries of John D. Lee, 1848-1876 edited and annotated by Robert Glass Cleland and Juanita Brooks (1955), 1:30-79.
- Albert P. Rockwood journals, 1847-1853, Journal, 1847 April-July.
- Blair, Seth Millington, Reminiscences and journals, 1851-1868, vol. 2, 104-34.
- "Departure for the Plains," The Mormon, 2 June 1855, 2.
- "Died," Deseret News, 28 August 1872, 443.
- Earl, Sylvester Henry, Autobiographical sketch, 8.
- Emigrating journal, 1855 June-September in Edward Stevenson collection, 1849-1922, 1-39.
- First 100, report, 1848 June.
- Heber C. Kimball journal in Heber C. Kimball papers, 1837-1866.
- Historian's Office rebaptism records, 1848-1876.
- John D. Lee, Diary, p. 55
- John Pulsipher journal and autobiography in Cache Valley historical material, circa 1955. Reel 4, Item 88, 33-46.
- Journal History of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, Supplement after 31 December 1848, 1.
- Millen Atwood journal, 1847 April-July.
- Missionary Database
- Partial diary of Hannah B. Morley found in Morley family histories, undated.
- Saints By Sea: Latter-day Saint Immigration to America
- Sylvester H. Earl autobiographical sketch, undated, 5-8.
- Sylvester H. Earl diary, 1852-1856, 6-8.
- "The Utah Pioneers," Deseret Weekly, 25 August 1894, 294.
- Thomas Bullock journals, 1843-1849, Journal, 1847 April-June.
- Utah State History Cemeteries and Burials Database.
- William A. Empey, "The Journal of William A. Empey, May 7-August 4, 1847," edited by Dale L. Morgan, Annals of Wyoming (July-October 1949), 124-33.
- William B. Wright collection, 1852-1951.
- William Clayton diaries, 1846-1853, Folder contents: (2) Volume 2, 1847.