- Birth Date
- 15 June 1815
- Death Date
- 16 March 1878
Howard participated in Brigham Young's vanguard company in 1847 and was part of the 9th Company of Ten led by Heber C Kimball. Shortly after arriving in the Salt Lake Valley, he returned to Winter Quarters to retrieve his wife, Tamson, and their children Howard, Richard and Horace. They traveled back to Salt Lake with Heber C. Kimball's 1848 Company. Again, Howard returned to Winter Quarters and brought back his wife, Nancy, and their daughter Helen in a company he captained himself in 1849. In 1858, he again returned to Utah, this time from California as a returning missionary, with the Orson Pratt/Ezra T. Benson Company.
Rebaptized on 7 August 1847.
- Age at Departure: 31
- Age at Departure: 32
- Head of Household
- Age at Departure: 33
- Company Captain
- Head of Household
- Age at Departure: 42
- 1860 Utah Census, Salt Lake County.
- Albert P. Rockwood journals, 1847-1853, Journal, 1847 April-July.
- Amasa M. Lyman collection, 1832-1877, Journal, 1847 April 8-September 10, 1-26 and 1-10.
- "Arrivals," Deseret News [Weekly], 20 Jan. 1858, 365.
- Camp of Israel schedules and reports, 1845-1849.
- Egan, Howard, [Autobiographical sketch], in Andrew Jenson, comp., Latter-day Saint Biographical Encyclopedia , 4:700.
- Find a Grave (Website)
- Heber C. Kimball, Autobiography, circa 1842-1858, in Heber C. Kimball papers, 1837-1866.
- Heber C. Kimball journal in Heber C. Kimball papers, 1837-1866.
- Heber C. Kimball journals, 1848 June-July and 1848 July-September, in Heber C. Kimball papers, 1837-1866.
- Historian's Office rebaptism records, 1848-1876.
- History of Tooele County
- Howard Egan letters. Trail excerpt transcribed from "Pioneer History Collection" available at Pioneer Memorial Museum [Daughters of Utah Pioneers Museum], Salt Lake City, Utah. Some restrictions apply.
- Jonathan Pugmire autobiographical sketch, circa 1878, 2.
- Joseph Fielding journals, 1837-1859, Journal, 1843 December-1859 March, 134-141.
- Joseph G. Hovey papers, 1845-1856, circa 1933, Autobiography, 1845-1856, 130-75.
- Journal History of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, 7 August 1849, 3.
- Journal History of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, Supplement after 31 December 1848, 12.
- Journal History of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, Supplement after 31 December 1849, 13.
- Norton Jacob reminiscence and journal, 1844 May-1852 January, 110-115.
- Norton Jacob reminiscence and journal, 1844 May-1852 January, 47-85.
- Orson F. Whitey, History of Utah: in Four Volumes, Volume 4 (Salt Lake City, Utah: George Q. Cannon & Sons Co., Publishers, 1904), 591.
- Peter Olsen Hansen papers, circa 1869-1893, Journal, 1849 April-August.
- Peter Olsen Hansen papers, circa 1869-1893, Journal, circa 1876, 75-77.
- Peter W. Conover reminiscences, undated, 6-7.
- Pioneer emigration list 1847-1848, 76, in Docket book 1844 Feb.-1845 May.
- Pioneering the West, 1846 to 1878: Major Howard Egan's Diary, edited and compiled by William M. Egan (1917), 21-105.
- Richard Ballantyne papers, 1848-1867, 1895, Journal, 1848 May-August.
- "The Utah Pioneers," Deseret Weekly, 25 August 1894, 294.
- Thomas Bullock journals, 1843-1849, Journal, 1847 April-June.
- Thomas Bullock journals, 1843-1849, Journal, 1848 May-September.
- Utah State History Cemeteries and Burials Database.
- Wilford Woodruff journal, 1847 January-1853 December, 25-77.
- William A. Empey, "The Journal of William A. Empey, May 7-August 4, 1847," edited by Dale L. Morgan, Annals of Wyoming (July-October 1949), 124-33.
- William Burton papers, circa 1837-1851, Journal, Volume 11, 1848 June-July.
- William Clayton diaries, 1846-1853, Folder contents: (2) Volume 2, 1847.
- Wood, Joseph, Autobiographical sketch, in [Frank Wood], "History of Joseph Wood."