- Birth Date
- 20 September 1812
- Death Date
- 29 August 1879
William initially traveled to the Salt Lake Valley in the William Atkinson Company in 1853. His travel to Utah is mentioned in his son's obituary. He later participated as one of the rescuers that were sent out in the winter of 1856 to assist the members of the Church stranded in Wyoming.
- Age at Departure: 40
- Company Captain
- Head of Household
- Age at Departure: 44
- Brigham Y. Perkins autobiography, circa 1921.
- "J.I. Atkinson, WX., Pioneer, 1853 Dies In 93rd Year," Davis County Clipper, 22 December 1933, 1.
- Jane Jennings Eldredge, "Historical Sketch: William Atkinson," Records and Historical Sketches of Residents of Davis County, Utah Volume 5 (1916), 114.
- Jesse W. Crosby Company report, 1853 August 19.
- Melvin Clarence Merrill, Utah Pioneer and Apostle Marriner Wood Merrill and His Family (Marriner Wood Merrill Heritage Committee, 1937; second printing September 1980), 28-30.
- Missionary Database
- Perpetual Emigrating Fund Company general files, 1850-1887.
- William G. Hartley, "LDS Emigration in 1853: The Keokuk Encampment and Outfitting Ten Wagon Trains for Utah," Mormon Historical Studies 4, 2 (Fall 2003): 43-76.