- Birth Date
- About 1832
- Death Date
George Richard Allen
George arrived in New York on 27 March 1856 via the ship Caravan. The ship roster indicates his age as 21 at the time of travel, but the overland company roster shows him as 24 years old. He initially began his journey to the Salt Lake Valley with the John A. Hunt Company in 1856. He was among the small group of men who remained behind at Devil's Gate until spring to guard the personal belongings of the emigrants who had been rescued.
George is listed as a butcher on the ship records and on the Hunt Company roster. We are unable to confirm that he ever completed the trip to the Valley. John Cooper states that "Geo. Watt, (butcher, was disaffected and went back east, having had a quarrel with Jones)" It is likely that Cooper misremembered the names and it was actually George Allen who returned to the East.
- Age at Departure: 24
- Cooper, John. Statement, 10 October 1916.
- Historians Office Record of Members (Minnie Margetts file).
- "Immigration to Utah," Deseret News, 15 October 1856, 254.
- Jaques, John, [Minutes of meeting at Devil's Gate, 9 November 1856], in John Jaques, Collection, 1846-1920.
- “John A. Hunt Company report, 1856.” In Brigham Young office emigrating companies reports 1850-1862, Reports 1856-1862. (CR 1234 5, Box 1, Folder 49)
- Journal History of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, 15 December 1856, 7.
- New York Passenger Lists, 1820-1957.