- Birth Date
- 11 May 1838
- Death Date
- 2 June 1900
John emigrated from England via the ship Horizon. He was among the small group of men who remained behind at Devil's Gate until spring to guard the personal belongings of the emigrants who had been rescued.
- Age at Departure: 18
- 1860 Utah Census, Salt Lake County.
- 1900 Utah Census.
- Cooper, John. Statement, 10 October 1916.
- England Births and Christenings, 1538-1975
- Find a Grave (Website)
- Handcart Veterans Association. Handcart Veterans Association scrapbook, 1906-1914, folder 7.
- "Immigration to Utah," Deseret News, 15 October 1856, 254.
- Jaques, John, [Minutes of meeting at Devil's Gate, 9 November 1856], in John Jaques, Collection, 1846-1920.
- John A. Hunt Company report, 1856, Brigham Young office emigrating companies reports, 1850-1862.
- Jones, Daniel W., Forty Years Among the Indians (1890), 62-75.
- Josiah Rogerson, "Strong Men, Brave Women and Sturdy Children Crossed the Wilderness Afoot," Salt Lake Tribune, 4 January 1914.
- Journal History of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, 15 December 1856, 12.
- Perpetual Emigrating Fund, Financial Accounts 1849-1886, Ledger B, p. 238.
- "Pioneer Dead," Ogden Standard Examiner , 5 June 1900, 8.
- Utah State History Cemeteries and Burials Database.