- Birth Date
- 2 August 1828
- Death Date
- 14 June 1903
Gilbert Henry Van Schoonhoven
Gilbert Henry Spencer
Gilbert initially traveled to the Salt Lake Valley in the Daniel Spencer/Ira Eldredge Company in 1847. His mother married Daniel Spencer. As a result his name is often found as Gilbert H. Spencer in many of the records. He was also often known as “Gib Spencer.” According to the Ogden Standard Examiner of 15 June 1903 and the Salt Lake Herald of 15 June 1903, he made it to Green River with the company, but Brigham Young sent him back to Florence to collect money and purchase stock and supplies for the Saints. From there, he went to Massachusetts to visit family, and remained there until 1856.
In 1856, Gilbert traveled with the Dan Jones/John A. Hunt Company as a captain of ten with his step-father Daniel Spencer. His death notification in the Ogden Standard Examiner stated that he made the trip across the plains thirteen times.
In 1868, he was a returning missionary from Europe, and he traveled with the William S. Seeley Company, as indicated in the Deseret Evening News of 19 August 1868.
- Age at Departure: 18
- Daniel Spencer (Age: 52)
- Emily Slafter Spencer (Age: 27)
- Claudius Victor Spencer (Age: 23)
- Maria Antoinette Spencer (Age: 21)
- Charles Henry Spencer (Age: 19)
- Anna Spencer (Age: 16)
- Hiram Theron Spencer (Age: 11)
- Amanda Spencer (Age: 7)
- Mary Leone Spencer (Age: 4)
- Edwin Eugene Spencer (Age: 3)
- Frances Elizabeth Spencer (Age: 1)
- Age at Departure: 27
- Age at Departure: 39
- Returning Missionary
- Dan Jones Emigrating Company journal, 1856 May-December.
- "Death of a Pioneer. Gilbert Henry Van Schoonhoven Stage Driver of Early Days, Passes Away," Salt Lake Herald , 15 June 1903, 8.
- "Died," Deseret Evening News, 19 August 1868, 2.
- Historical Department journal history of the Church, 21 June 1847, 12.
- "Immigration to Utah," Deseret News, 15 October 1856, 254.
- John A. Hunt Company report, 1856, Brigham Young office emigrating companies reports, 1850-1862.
- Journal History of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, 15 December 1856, 15.
- Missionary Database
- Missionary Department Missionary Registers, 1860-1959, Volume 1.
- Pay, Mary G. to S. S. Jones,Handcart Veterans Association, 18 Oct. 1908. Handcart Veterans Association, Scrapbook, 1906-1914, fd. 5.
- Spencer, Hiram Theron, Reminiscences, 5. Trail excerpt transcribed from "Pioneer History Collection" available at Pioneer Memorial Museum [Daughters of Utah Pioneers Museum], Salt Lake City, Utah. Some restrictions apply.