- Birth Date
- 26 December 1812
- Death Date
- 6 October 1856
John traveled with his son and daughter. The Turners emigrated from England by way of the ship Horizon. John died en route of a sickness involving diarrhea, according to the company journal. Not too long after his death, his two children also passed away before reaching Utah.
Esther Brown is listed with the family on the ship records. When John's wife, Sophia, died, the remainder of her ship fare was transferred to Esther. Esther's relationship to the Turners has not been determined.
- Age at Departure: 42
- Head of Household
- Died en Route
- Dan Jones Emigrating Company journal, 1856 May-December.
- Hunt, John A., [Journal], in "Church Emigration Book"
- "Immigration to Utah," Deseret News, 15 October 1856, 254.
- John A. Hunt Company report, 1856, Brigham Young office emigrating companies reports, 1850-1862.
- Journal History of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, 15 December 1856, 8.
- Letter from John A. Hunt to Brigham Young, 11 October 1856.
- Linforth, J., [Letter], Latter-day Saints' Millennial Star, 10 January 1857, 27-28.