- Birth Date
- 16 May 1830
- Death Date
- 23 January 1913
John Alexander Hunt
The Hunt family traveled to the Salt Lake Valley with the Aaron Johnson Company in 1850. The Hunt family included Daniel Durham and his wife Susan Davis, and Daniel’s children from his first wife: John Alexander, James Wiseman, Levi Bunyan, Benoni Smith, Daniel Whitmore, and Nancy Johanna Penelope.
At the end of a mission, John Alexander returned home as Captain of the John A. Hunt Company in 1856.
- Age at Departure: 20
- Age at Departure: 26
- Company Captain
- 1850 Utah Census, Davis County.
- Bullock, Thomas, [Letter], Latter-day Saints' Millennial Star, 20 December 1856, 811-13.
- [Camp Journal], in "Church Emigration Book"
- Dan Jones Emigrating Company journal, 1856 May-December.
- Daughters of Utah Pioneers. History of Utah's Tooele County: From the Edge of the Great Basin Frontier (Tooele, UT: Transcript Bulletin Publishing, Inc., 2012).
- Driggs, Ben W., [Letter], in "Pioneer Trail Experiences," Deseret Evening News, 26 April 1913, sec. 3, X.
- Eastern Idaho Death Records Database.
- Handcart Veterans Association. Handcart Veterans Association scrapbook, 1906-1914, folder 6.
- Handcart Veterans Association. Handcart Veterans Association scrapbook, 1906-1914, folder 7.
- Hodgetts and Hunt companies camp journal excerpts in Historical Department journal history of the Church, 1896-2001 July, 15 December 1856, 16-37.
- Hunt, John A., [Journal], in "Church Emigration Book"
- “John A. Hunt Company report, 1856.” In Brigham Young office emigrating companies reports 1850-1862, Reports 1856-1862. (CR 1234 5, Box 1, Folder 49)
- Journal History of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, 15 December 1856, 7.
- Letter from John A. Hunt to Brigham Young, 11 October 1856.
- Letter from John A. Hunt to Brigham Young, 16 September 1856.
- Letter from Thomas Thomas of John A. Hunt wagon company to Brigham Young, 31 October 1856.
- Linforth, J., [Letter], Latter-day Saints' Millennial Star, 10 January 1857, 27-28.
- Pay, Mary G. to S. S. Jones,Handcart Veterans Association, 18 Oct. 1908. Handcart Veterans Association, Scrapbook, 1906-1914, fd. 5.
- Pay, Mary Goble, Autobiographical sketch 1896-1909, 2-5.
- Perpetual Emigrating Fund, Financial Accounts 1849-1886, Ledger B, p. 166.
- "Religious Activities Of The Late J. A. Hunt," Deseret Evening News, 5 Apr. 1913, 3:XI.
- Stewart, Elizabeth White, [Autobiography], in Workman, Mary Ellen B., comp., "Ancestors of Isaac Mitton Stewart and Elizabeth White" .
- William Woodward letter to Heber C. Kimball, 11 June 1856.