- Birth Date
- 8 September 1853
- Death Date
- 25 August 1930
His given name is listed as "Charles" on the roster of the Rawlins Company. In his Davis County obituaries his surname is spelled “Olston." Although his Deseret News obituary says he was a "Pioneer Of Hand Cart Days," Christopher did not cross the plains with a handcart company. There were no handcart companies in 1864.
He came with his brother, John. They emigrated from England by way of the ship General McClellan. They continued their westward journey as part of the 1864 Rawlins Company. Both boys were included on the list of passengers published in Deseret News. His birth date and death date are confirmed by his death certificate and obituaries.
- Age at Departure: 10
- Head of Household
- 1861 England and Wales Census.
- 1870 Utah Census, Salt Lake County.
- Alston, Christopher, Reminiscences, 5-7. Trail excerpt transcribed from "Pioneer History Collection" available at Pioneer Memorial Museum [Daughters of Utah Pioneers Museum], Salt Lake City, Utah. Some restrictions apply.
- Find a Grave (Website)
- "List of Passengers," Deseret News, 17 August 1864, 369.
- “Pioneer Of Hand Cart Days Dies," Deseret News," 25 August 1930, 1.
- "Pioneer of Handcart Days Dies," Deseret News, 25 August 1930, l.
- Utah Death Certificate Index, 1905-1967.
- “Woods Cross," Davis County Clipper, 29 August 1930, 16.