- Birth Date
- 4 March 1816
- Death Date
- 16 March 1878
Birth date is confirmed by the missionary register, and his birth and death dates are also confirmed by the inscription on his gravestone.
Burr initially traveled to the Salt Lake Valley in the Brigham Young Pioneer Company in 1847, as indicated in various diaries and reminiscences. He was part of the 7th Company of Ten led by James Case. His travel to Utah is also mentioned in his wife’s obituary. Along the way, Burr helped to clear stones off the road, so that it would be clear for wagons to cross on. As a skilled blacksmith, whenever wagons broke and needed welding, Burr was able to repair them. He repaired Ezra Taft Benson’s axel, another man’s carriage spring, plus various wagon wheels and horses’ shoes. He also acted as blacksmith for companies they crossed paths with on their way to the valley. At the time, he was President of the 16th Quorum of Seventies.
In 1852, Burr left for a mission to Australia. At the end of that mission, he traveled home from the Salt Lake Valley in the Amasa M. Lyman Company in 1855, as indicated in a Deseret News Weekly article of 5 December 1855.
- Age at Departure: 31
- Age at Departure: 39
- Albert P. Rockwood journals, 1847-1853, Journal, 1847 April-July.
- Amasa M. Lyman collection, 1832-1877, Journal, 1847 April 8-September 10, 1-26 and 1-10. Events recorded by Albert Carrington.
- Appleton M. Harmon diary, 1847 April-July.
- "Arrivals," Deseret News, 5 December 1855, 309.
- "Burr Frost, Blacksmith," Our Pioneer Heritage, Vol. 2, p.554.
- "Death of a Pioneer's Wife," The Deseret Weekly , 3 June 1893, 752.
- Find a Grave (Website)
- Heber C. Kimball journal in Heber C. Kimball papers, 1837-1866.
- Howard Egan, Pioneering the West, 1846 to 1878, edited and compiled by William M. Egan (1917), 21-105.
- Missionary Department Missionary Registers, 1860-1959, Volume 1.
- Norton Jacob reminiscence and journal, 1844 May-1852 January, 47-85.
- Perpetual Emigrating Fund, Financial Accounts 1849-1886, Ledger A, p. 279.
- "Sudden Death of a Pioneer," Salt Lake Herald, 17 March 1878, 3.
- Thomas Bullock journals, 1843-1849, Journal, 1847 April-June.
- William Clayton diaries, 1846-1853, Folder contents: (2) Volume 2, 1847.