- Birth Date
- 5 February 1837
- Death Date
- 5 August 1909
Eliza Rosanna Pears
She gave birth to a daughter aboard ship that only lived a few minutes. Her maiden name is spelled Pierce in some sources.
Her name is shown as "Eliza Summers O'Neal" on her death certificate and her father's name is listed as "John Pearce."
Her death certificate confirms her death date, but also shows her birth date as 5 February 1841, which is the same date as is given in her obituary.
The family sailed to America in 1856 on the ship Horizon.
- Age at Departure: 19
- "Died," Ogden Standard, 6 Aug. 1909, 5.
- "Handcart Heroine Honored," Deseret Evening News, 12 February 1902.
- Handcart Veterans Association. Handcart Veterans Association scrapbook, 1906-1914, folder 7.
- Historians Office Record of Members (Minnie Margetts file).
- Josiah Rogerson, "Strong Men, Brave Women and Sturdy Children Crossed the Wilderness Afoot," Salt Lake Tribune, 4 January 1914.
- Perpetual Emigrating Fund, Financial Accounts 1849-1886, Ledger B, p. 250.