- Birth Date
- 12 September 1826
- Death Date
- 24 May 1880
John Young Greene
John initially traveled to the Salt Lake Valley in the Brigham Young Pioneer Company in 1847 and was part of the 3rd Company of Ten led by Phineas H. Young.
From the Salt Lake Valley, John had traveled to California for mules and cows. After his trip to California, he traveled back to the Salt Lake Valley, was there four days, and then headed east until he met the Brigham Young Company in 1848. According to Thomas Bullock‘s journal, on 11 July 1848 John Young Greene and Joseph W. Young met the company with news from the Salt Lake Valley. On 16 July 1848, John Young was sent with Benjamin W. Rolfe and Cyrenus Taylor ahead of the company to carry mail to the Salt Lake Valley.
Then, in 1859, he traveled as co-captain of the Hiram T. Spencer/John Y. Greene train according to Nathaniel George Chambers’ biographical sketch.
In 1860, he traveled with the Hooper and Eldredge Freight Train as a captain of a mule train as indicated in a Deseret News article of 8 August 1860.
- Age at Departure: 20
- Age at Departure: 21
- Age at Departure: 32
- Company Captain
- Age at Departure: 33
- A Mormon chronicle: the Diaries of John D. Lee, 1848-1876 edited and annotated by Robert Glass Cleland and Juanita Brooks (1955), 1:30-79.
- Albert P. Rockwood journals, 1847-1853, Journal, 1847 April-July.
- Alexander Neibaur journal, 1841 February-1862 April, 26-38.
- Amasa M. Lyman collection, 1832-1877, Journal, 1847 April 8-September 10, 1-26 and 1-10.
- Andrew Jenson, "Chambers, Nathaniel George," Latter-day Saint Biographical Encyclopedia: A Compilation of Biographical Sketches of Prominent Men and Women in the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints Volume 2 (Salt Lake City, Utah: The Andrew Jenson History Company, 1971), 523-524.
- "Died," Deseret News [Weekly], 2 June 1880, 288.
- First 100, report, 1848 June.
- Heber C. Kimball journal in Heber C. Kimball papers, 1837-1866.
- Journal History of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, Supplement after 31 December 1848, 5.
- "Latest from the Plains," Deseret News, 8 August 1860, 180.
- Lorenzo Dow Young diaries, 1846-1852 and 1888-1891, in Lorenzo D. Young papers, 1846-1894.
- Oliver Boardman Huntington, Diary, Volume 9.
- Thomas Bullock journals, 1843-1849, Journal, 1847 April-June.
- Thomas Bullock journals, 1843-1849, Journal, 1848 May-September.
- William Clayton diaries, 1846-1853, Folder contents: (2) Volume 2, 1847.