- Birth Date
- 22 December 1824
- Death Date
- 23 March 1907
- Age at Departure: 27
- "Funeral of James Stratton," Deseret Evening News , 28 Mar. 1907, 3.
- Perpetual Emigrating Fund, Financial Accounts 1849-1886, Ledger A, p. 307.
- "Provo Department," Deseret Evening News , 26 Mar. 1907, 3.
- "Registry of Names of Persons Residing in the Various Wards as to Bishops' Reports, Great Salt Lake City, Dec. 28th, A.D. 1852" in Key to Migration Sources, Great Britain and North America: A Manual for Students Attending the Second Annual Priesthood Genealogical Research Seminar, June 19-23, 1967 (Provo: Brigham Young University Division of Continuing Education, 1967), edited by Norman Edgar Wright.
- Stratton, James, “A Sketch of His Life,” 3.
- Stratton, James, [Autobiographical sketch], in Eliza B. Anderson and Mariam C. Bradshaw, comp., "Original and Native Pioneer Histories, Camp History, Locality History," (Daughters of Utah Pioneers, Timp View Camp [Orem, Utah]), 182-83.