- Birth Date
- 15 February 1822
- Death Date
- 9 February 1891
Thomas McNeil Jr.
The McNeil family arrived in New York on 14 June 1856 via the ship Thornton.
As indicated in Margaret's autobiography, their intent was to travel across the plains with one of the handcart companies that year but their plans changed when they were advised to travel to St. Louis and remain there until the next emigration season. They ended up crossing the plains in 1859. Further research is needed to identify the name of the company they traveled with.
Some sources still erroneously indicate that the family traveled with a handcart company in 1856 but a son was born at Genoa, Nance, Nebraska in January 1859.
- Age at Departure: 36
- Head of Household
- 1860 Utah Census, Cache County.
- Ballard, Margaret McNeil, Autobiography, 3-9, in Utah Pioneer Biographies, compiled by Yalecrest Camp, Daughters of the Utah Pioneers.
- New York Passenger Lists, 1820-1957.
- "Obituary," Logan Journal , 18 Mar. 1891, 6.
- Saints By Sea: Latter-day Saint Immigration to America
- Utah Cemetery Inventory