- Birth Date
- 29 May 1820
- Death Date
- 26 February 1877
Appleton Milo Harmon
Initially, Appleton traveled to the Salt Lake Valley in the Brigham Young Pioneer Company in 1847 and was Captain of the 10th Company of Ten. On June 15, 1847, Brigham Young decided that a group of brethren should stay at the North Fork of the Platt River Upper Ferry, near Casper, Wyoming, where a commercial ferry could be established. The hope was that they could assist all companies with ferrying across in order to collect provisions that could be used to sustain the next company of saints. Appleton, along with nine others, was chosen to stay and help operate the Platte River Ferry. They were instructed to join the next company of Saints on into the Salt Lake Valley. Thomas Grover was appointed as the captain of those staying behind.
Many diaries of those in the company indicate the above findings.
According to his journal, he remained at the Platte River Ferry until the pioneers from Utah returned, heading east to Winter Quarters. On his way to Winter Quarters, he stopped at Fort Laramie for a few months where he worked as a blacksmith before continuing on to Winter Quarters in March 1848.
In June 1848, he prepared for a trip from Winter Quarters to the Salt Lake Valley, with his wife, Elmeda Stringham, father, Jesse Pierce Harmon, father in law, and two brothers, Amos Washington and Ansel Perce. They joined the Heber C. Kimball Company, and set off for the Salt Lake Valley in June 1848. Appleton was in charge of the hunting department of the company.
At the end of a mission, Appleton traveled home as captain of the Appleton M. Harmon Company in 1853. At some point, Appleton’s company and John Brown’s company traveled together as indicated in correspondences between them and Brigham Young. The two companies contained individuals traveling by way of the Perpetual Emigrating Funds.
- Age at Departure: 26
- Age at Departure: 28
- Head of Household
- Age at Departure: 33
- Company Captain
- Albert P. Rockwood journals, 1847-1853, Journal, 1847 April-July.
- Amasa M. Lyman collection, 1832-1877, Journal, 1847 April 8-September 10, 1-26 and 1-10.
- “Appleton M. Harmon Company report, 1853.” In Brigham Young office emigrating companies reports 1850-1862, Reports 1853-1855. (CR 1234 5, Box 1, Folder 29)
- Appleton M. Harmon diary, 1847 April-July.
- Appleton Milo Harmon journal, 11-15.
- Appleton Milo Harmon journal in Library of Congress collection of Mormon diaries, 1935-1938, 17-24.
- Brown, John, and A. M. Harmon to Brigham Young, 12 Oct. 1853, in Brigham Young, Office Files 1832-1878, reel 32, box 22, fd. 21.
- Brown, John, and A. M. Harmon to Brigham Young, 17 Sept. 1853, in Brigham Young, Office Files 1832-1878, reel 32, box 22, fd. 21.
- Chamberlain, John Marvin, Reminiscences [c. 1925], [2-5].
- Charles A. Harper diary, 1847 April-August.
- Early Missionary Database
- Elmeda S. Harmon in Appleton Milo Harmon Goes West, edited by Maybelle Harmon Anderson (1946), 173-174.
- Elmeda Stringham Harmon in Briant Stringham and His People (1949), edited by Nathaniel George Stringham, 90-91.
- Erastus Snow journals, 1835-1851; 1856-1857, 1847 April-December, 1-92.
- Find a Grave (Website)
- Frank Esshom, Pioneers and Prominent Men of Utah (Salt Lake City: Utah Pioneers Book Publishing Company, 1913).
- Harmon, Appleton Milo, Journal, p. 47
- Heber C. Kimball journal in Heber C. Kimball papers, 1837-1866.
- John S. Higbee reminiscences and diaries, 1845-1866. Transcriptions from volumes 1 and 2.
- Livingston, James Campbell, Autobiographical sketch, 1.
- McNaughton, James, Journal, 1851-1858.
- Norton Jacob reminiscence and journal, 1844 May-1852 January, 47-85.
- Pioneering the West, 1846 to 1878: Major Howard Egan's Diary, edited and compiled by William M. Egan (1917), 21-105.
- Roskelley, Samuel, "Grandpa Roskelley Looks at Life," Roskelley Organ 1, no. 1 (1 June 1951): 10-13.
- "The Utah Pioneers," Deseret Weekly, 25 August 1894, 294.
- Thomas Bullock journals, 1843-1849, Journal, 1847 April-June.
- Utah, Territorial Militia Records, 1849-1877.
- Wilford Woodruff journal, 1847 January-1853 December, 25-77.
- William A. Empey, "The Journal of William A. Empey, May 7-August 4, 1847," edited by Dale L. Morgan, Annals of Wyoming (July-October 1949), 124-33.
- William Clayton diaries, 1846-1853, Folder contents: (2) Volume 2, 1847.