- Birth Date
- Between 1841 and 1844
- Death Date
Lawrence was the son of Hannah and was an enslaved African American. He traveled with Robert M. Smith to Utah according to "John Brown's company of 10, report."
It is interesting to note that the 1850 Census listed Lawrence's "color" as "yellow." At that time, a designation of "yellow" may be indicative of a multi-racial background. While the 1860 Census listed her "color" as "M" for mulatto. "Mulatto" was a term used to identify individuals with mixed racial backgrounds.
Lawrence's exact birth year is unknown indirect sources point to a birth year ranging from 1841-1844. In the company roster, "John Brown's company of 10, report," Lawrence was listed as being 5 years old, which points to a birth year of 1843.
While still enslaved, Lawrence and his family were taken to California (by Robert M. Smith) where they eventually gained their freedom. In the 1860 Census he was listed under the surname "Sunily."
- Age at Departure: Unknown
- Robert Mays Smith (Age: 43)
- Rebecca Ruth Smith (Age: 38)
- Biddy Mason (Age: 29)
- Rande (Age: 26)
- John Dorn Smith (Age: 13)
- William D. Smith (Age: 11)
- Elijah B. Smith (Age: 9)
- Ellen Mason (Age: 9)
- James S. Smith (Age: 5)
- Ann Mason (Age: 4)
- Sarah F. Smith (Age: 3)
- Joseph Smith (Age: Infant)
- Harriet Mason (Age: Infant)
- Jane (Age: Infant)
- Hannah Smith (Age: Unknown)
- Nelson (Age: Unknown)
- Ann (Age: Unknown)
- 1860 United States Census
- Beasley, Delilah L. The Negro Trail Blazers of California (New York: Negro Universities Press, 1919), 88-90.
- Brown, John Zimmerman, comp. Autobiography of Pioneer John Brown, 1820-1896 (Salt Lake City, 1941), 88, 96, 100.
- California State Census, 1852.
- Carter, Kate B. The Story of the Negro Pioneer. (Salt Lake City: Daughters of Utah Pioneers, 1965), 33.
- John Brown's company of 10, report, 1848 June in Camp of Israel schedules and reports 1845-1849.
- Mississippi company, report, 1848 May in Camp of Israel schedules and reports, 1845-1849.
- "Slave Inhabitants in Utah County, Deseret," 1850 Utah Census, Utah County.