- Birth Date
- 29 November 1818
- Death Date
- 23 July 1895
Shepherd Pierce Hutchings
Shepherd first arrived in the Valley in 1849. He and his family began their journey with the Silas Richards family, but about mid-way, they left the company and went ahead on their own because of disagreements they had with others in the camp. The Hutchings name is not on the official company roster, but it appears in letters that were sent and journals kept referring to the group of people who left the camp.
At some point, he traveled to Carson Valley, Nevada with a small group, including Orson Hyde. He returned to Utah, arriving on 24 October 1855. His return travel included Seth Dustin, George Washington Hancock, and Chester Loveland. (See "Arrivals," Deseret News, 31 Oct. 1855.) Orson Hyde did not return with them.
References in journals spell his name "S. Hutchins"
- Age at Departure: 30
- Head of Household
- Age at Departure: 36
- "Arrivals," Deseret News, 31 Oct. 1855.
- Augustus Farnham letter to Brigham Young, 25 August 1849.
- Hutchings, Eliza Ann Pectol, [Reminiscences], in "History of Shepherd Pierce Hutchings," item #2, 1-2.
- Silas Richards diaries, 1846 May-1855 July, Diary, 1849-1853, 1-36.
- Silas Richards letter to Brigham Young, 24 August 1849.
- Silas Richards reminiscences and journal, circa 1849-1871, transcribed by Ailcy C. Morrell, 4-12.